E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that my blower is pretty much broken in, I took the car up higher in the rev band over the weekend. Maybe just shy of 6K but i was able to hit .5bar of boost according to my greddy gauge memory recall function :yikes: .5bar is equal to about 7.2lbs of boost! Is it possible?

Things different with my install are:

Better bypass valves 710N (stronger internal spring to handle more boost)
I polished the inlet part of the blower (where the fan blades are) more efficient?

I was only expecting the needle to hit below the .5 mark especially since i wasn't even at redline yet.

BTW the car HAULS A55! :)

Alan

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe.... :hmm: to my knowledge the only way to increase boost is to speed up the rotation of the pulley either through a smaller one or by increasing revs.

At what rpm does the car suppose to show 6.5lbs of boost? I wasn't even at 6K yet when it showed .5bar and with my shark software, i could go all the way up to 7K like the ZHPs making even more boost.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hey Alan,

When I got my car dyno'd and I didn't have my own boost gauge, we hooked up a greddy mechanical boost gauge and I was also touching .5 bar of boost just at redline. I think it is more of a pressure spike at with hard acceleration. No i don't think it has anything to do with your polishing or bypass valves. Remember these are automotive quality gauges and not exact.

BTW mine occiasionally hits 1.21 jigawatts at 88 MPH! I am having some issues with CEL's due to my upgraded polished :) flux capacitor though... :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I was just joking around, like i said i have touched .5 bar (7.2 psi) as well :)
I did find it odd though as well, and Alan it there at only 6000rpms??? Well that was the original plan for the SK2 right, to increase the redline for more boost as well. Alan can you borrow a mechanical gauge to compare them?

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
omes said:
BTW mine occiasionally hits 1.21 jigawatts at 88 MPH! I am having some issues with CEL's due to my upgraded polished :) flux capacitor though... :thumbup:
:lmao: :lmao: Hey where could it pick up another flux capacitor? Mine blew out the last time i came back haha.

I figured making the path for the air flow going into the SC smoother could help it run just a tad better. Just like the Extrudehone process they use on engine intake/exhaust ports. :p

·
Registered
839 Posts
Alan L. said:
Now that my blower is pretty much broken in, I took the car up higher in the rev band over the weekend. Maybe just shy of 6K but i was able to hit .5bar of boost according to my greddy gauge memory recall function :yikes: .5bar is equal to about 7.2lbs of boost! Is it possible?

Things different with my install are:

Better bypass valves 710N (stronger internal spring to handle more boost)
I polished the inlet part of the blower (where the fan blades are) more efficient?

I was only expecting the needle to hit below the .5 mark especially since i wasn't even at redline yet.

BTW the car HAULS A55! :)

Alan
It may have just been boost spike ... happens all the time. What matters is the constant max ammount of boost. Sorry if this was already posted, was to lazy to read all replies .. LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I see full boost of 7 psi at 5,5k. There are 3 ways to increase boost:

1- a bigger crank pulley
2- smaller sc pulley
3- increase the compression ratio of the engine, this may cause detonation unless you have 116 octane fuel, very cold spark plugs and excellent tuning.

It has nothing to do with the supercharging but on the Turboed M3 I see full boost of 36 psi at 5600/5700 rpm.

·
Banned
2,255 Posts
Nice to have those extra revs with the ZHP...however, once the MS45 software <i>does</i> become available, that will unfortunately have to be reduced...won't matter though, as the calibrated software will make up for it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I still have a big cheese on my face when I floor it :) If I had headers and the new software, I would probably lose my license real quick haha.

Technik said:
Nice to have those extra revs with the ZHP...however, once the MS45 software <i>does</i> become available, that will unfortunately have to be reduced...won't matter though, as the calibrated software will make up for it.

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I was able to hit .6 bar over the weekend too at redline :yikes:

Is it possible to have boost spike with a SC? Doesn't make sense cause the compressor is mechanically linked to the motor (via belt)

Side note - do you guys feel excessive drivetrain movement when your at WOT near redline and then you let off the gas? Almost feels like the the entire drivetrain is shifts alittle when you go from full throttle and let off the gas (not shifting). I felt this before the SC but you feel it even more now. FYI, i have aftermarket tranny mounts already.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Alan L. said:
I was able to hit .6 bar over the weekend too at redline :yikes:

Is it possible to have boost spike with a SC? Doesn't make sense cause the compressor is mechanically linked to the motor (via belt)

Side note - do you guys feel excessive drivetrain movement when your at WOT near redline and then you let off the gas? Almost feels like the the entire drivetrain is shifts alittle when you go from full throttle and let off the gas (not shifting). I felt this before the SC but you feel it even more now. FYI, i have aftermarket tranny mounts already.
Yes it is possible, I GUARANTEE you this ... both my prior mustangs with blowers had boost spike of 15#'s and settled at 12-13#'s. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts