E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just Marinatin'
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the old school ugly 4 spoke steering wheel and I couldn't get the darn airbag out so I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the cover of the column off. Do you have to remove the wheel first? What do I need to use to get those torx screws out? I mean what size and what kind of extension? Thanks.

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,789 Posts
sorry, I dont remember the size of the torx screwdriver, but the trick is to turn the wheel to where you can fit one behide to reach the two screws. once you get the two screws out, the airbag will pull off the wheel. also, dont forget to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before you start working on the wheel.
good luck
:thumbup:

·
Help me Help you!
822 Posts
Mcabr

the torx screwdriver size is t30. (just removed it myself last week)
also make sure the screwdriver is short and can get between the dash and wheel (telescope it out to you as much as possible).
once u get both sides out, u pull off the cover.
let me know if u need any more help. good luck

·
Just Marinatin'
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

I was following that diy from 330ci.com and it was saying that you could just pop out the airbag. I didn't know that you had to have the torx30 so I went and bought one and now I am done with the install. Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

·
Help me Help you!
822 Posts
mcabr,

yeah the diy from 330ci is assuming you have a sports steering wheel. we however have the nonsports one.
did u get the m steering wheel?? thats what i got.

·
Help me Help you!
822 Posts
funny thing, after i installed the wheel i get the stupid light indictating airbag problem. i will have to pop that thing out and make sure the wiring is fine...however its 20 degrees out and not much warmer in garage.

·
Just Marinatin'
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I remember those new york winters

I used to live in southampton. I wish I was changing the steering wheel but I was just installing the on board computer stalk so that I could have it programmed to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts