BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW 440i spied testing

4 Series? That's right, BMW is splitting the 3 series line up. The the sedan and touring will remaining the venerable "3 Series" while the coupe and convertible are standing on their own as the new "4 Series". The change aligns BMW's smaller 3 series sedan and 4 series coupe with its bigger brothers the 5 series and 6 series. It also matches BMW's products better to Audi's A4 sedan and A5 coupe.

Like it or not the change is coming and we've got pictures of the 2014 4 series 440i. Powered by the 6 cylinder N55 engine you can purchase today in the 2013 335i, the 2 door coupe will get a power bump from 300hp to 315hp or 320hp in the 440i. The basis for this power increase for the coupe over the sedan? The 4 series switch allows BMW to move the 4 series coupe up market, and up market cars get more power in BMW's line up. They've done this with the 535i and 640i and will continue the trend with the 335i and 440i.

2014 BMW 4 series coupe

These BMW spy pictures don't show much of the final design but we can get a good sense of the proportions of the new coupe. The front retains the short overhang of the E46 and E92 coupe. While the headlights are test mule place holders BMW execs have told us the F32 4 series coupe will share the same wide headlights of the F30 3 Series that wrap from the fender to the center kidney grills. Expect the kidney grills to be wider then the F30 and more aggressively styled then the round and soft F30 sedan grills. As with the F30 sedan the number of vertical slats in the grills will vary depending on the equipment 'line' you get.

The F32 4 series coupe will be sold with equipment 'lines' similar to the from the F30 3 series sedan. The lines will consist of modern, luxury and sport, with an an M sport option that isn't likely to be ready right at launch in the summer of 2013.

BMW F32 3 series coupe now called 4 series

Out back the 440i gets the now standard for BMW, single pipe on the left and right side, signifying this is the big motor N55 coupe. The 428i will be powered by the 4 cylinder turbo N20 found in the 328i and will have a left side dual exhaust. The trunk hangs over the back of the rear wheels a good amount, meaning this coupe will have a lot of functional trunk space, even as a F33 convertible model. I especially like how the trunk lid flows up into the rear window, when we finally get to see the F32 4 series coupe it is going to be a stunner!

Who's waiting for the summer 2013 4 series coupe launch? What do you think of the 4 series naming? Will it keep you from getting the all new BMW coupe?

Attachments

·
Keep it clean
7,984 Posts
Why does BMW need to "align" to Audi? That's crap.

I just spent my whole night under an A6. I can't stand working on these cars.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i hear 3 series, i always think coupe.
I know where you're coming from, however, I think the 3 series sales figures show otherwise. Most people think of the 3 series as a sedan, that is most of what BMW sells.

Tim

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sooooo I was thinking.... does this mean there will potentially be a M3 AND an M4???
Correct, the M4 is coming. The BMW NA CEO Ludwig Willisch confirmed that we'll have an M4 at Bimmerfest 2012 sponsored by Horsepower Freaks.

Tim

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That wasn't as clear as it could have been. At Bimmerfest 2012 The BMW NA CEO Ludwig Willisch confirmed that the M4 is coming in the future while talking to the crowd.

When the M4 is released I'm sure we'll have it at Bimmerfest, and we will have good pictures. Unfortunately that is several years off.

Tim

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
That wasn't as clear as it could have been. At Bimmerfest 2012 The BMW NA CEO Ludwig Willisch confirmed that the M4 is coming in the future while talking to the crowd.

When the M4 is released I'm sure we'll have it at Bimmerfest, and we will have good pictures. Unfortunately that is several years off.

Tim
Sigh, yea I took that wrong, too good to be true... I just can't wait for the next coupe... I don't see how they can out-do the style of the E92.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the E92 coupe but looking at it next to the F30 it does start to look dated. Give it another couple years and it will start to show even more. That being said I'm keeping an eye out for and E92 M3 once the prices drop.

Tim

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
Silly.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I love the E92 coupe but looking at it next to the F30 it does start to look dated. Give it another couple years and it will start to show even more. That being said I'm keeping an eye out for and E92 M3 once the prices drop. Tim
haha no doubt, those things are still upwards of $40k. I do see what you mean by them starting to date, and I do like the new F30 headlight setup, I just hope they keep that headlight style for the new 3-series cou...I mean 4-series coupe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts