E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i got 2 already but i just got another one and it wasnt my fault .........the cop says i was goin 80+ on a 60 and i was on cruise control........wut do u think the chances are of gettin out of it, if i get a lawyer to fight it cuz i didnt do anythin................it was over a 5 lane freeway and i was on the left when he was on the right campin and there were 2 lanes in front of him with lots of cars passing and he said he clocked me a 1/4 mile away :dunno:

·
Registered
917 Posts
go to court and keep changing the dates further back, so maybe he will forget about it and not go. Worked for my friend.

·
Bimmerless
1,551 Posts
SGSMGM3 said:
go to court and keep changing the dates further back, so maybe he will forget about it and not go. Worked for my friend.
One fault about that idea: tickets in CA are cleared 3 years from the time the ticket is closed, meaning either paid off, or dropped in court. If you extend your court dates 9 months, and it doesnt get dropped, then its like 3 yrs 9 months from the date you got the ticket. Just extending the agony.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,524 Posts
Anthony said:

One fault about that idea: tickets in CA are cleared 3 years from the time the ticket is closed, meaning either paid off, or dropped in court. If you extend your court dates 9 months, and it doesnt get dropped, then its like 3 yrs 9 months from the date you got the ticket. Just extending the agony.
i dont think he means it will eventually get droped but around here (CT) if you delay it enough then go to court and fight it and the cop doesnt show, it gets thrown out.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I heard something about how sometimes the guns aren't calibrated correctly and that a lawyer usually gets the calibration records of the gun and shows that blah blah blah they weren't calibrated in the past 6 mos or something so it was the gun @ fault.

·
99% Stock
862 Posts
Tell me about it. I just got my third one today, second over 90 and almost got jailed for both of them. Or thats what the officers say.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I talked to a few different lawyers about helping me get out of a speeding ticket...79 in a 60. Each said it would be well over $500, maybe more. The ticket was only like $200, and I'm only paying $25/month on a payment plan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm not worried if its gonna cost me more then the ticket for the lawyer.........i juss dont wanna get owned in the long run with insurance...........i juss wanna kno if its easy to get away cuz i got 2 speeding tickets already :ben:

·
Registered
553 Posts
A lawyer will be your best chance to get out of it, and will probably be a worthwhile investment. When I was single and in my early 20's, I got a bunch of tickets and was paying nearly $4,000 a year for insurance. And this was for a Honda! Good luck, bro.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,360 Posts
Fight the ticket. Unless you happen to get it in a place where you'll get ****ed if you go to court. (i.e. rural Maryland, where they frown on young, non-white guys with Jewish surnames who drive BMWs. This, of course, was why I didn't fight the ticket. I spoke to a local traffic lawyer, and he felt I'd be lucky to come out of the court with what I'd gone in with.)

For reference, my 93 in a 50 ticket has cost me:

$500 fine.

$600/year safe driver discount times three years=$1800

So the cost has been AT LEAST $2300 for a $500 ticket. My insurance also went up when I bought my xiT. It's WELL worth fighting the ticket.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I dont care where you live. Judges are just that JUDGES. They are sworn to follow an oath. They SHOULD NOT have the thinking of "oh a young white rich guy".

Furthermore, we are Americans. In a court of law we MUST be proven guilty beyond "reasonable" doubt. Fight the tickit, fight the power. Dont EVER just accept guilt. Not in the country brother. The system is on YOUR side, you always innocent until PROVEN otherwise.

There are many resources on the net of how to defend your self against a moving violation.

Good luck!,
Arro

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you fight the ticket and the cop cant show up, your case will be thrown out and you will pay nothing, not even court costs. The last 7 tickets I have gotten (all in the city of Saint Louis). I have pled not guilty (without any lawers). Guess what, i was exhonerated of all tickets. I payed NOTHING. Cops never showd up and the cases were all thrown out.

A few things, even if he has proof that you sped (via radar). THere are many laws about the radar unit having to be inspected and tested every year and the radar user having to be retrained every 2 years. If they arent your case is automaticly thrown out. Check the laws in your jurisdiction.

And dont listen to these mooks about plead guilty and pay the ticket. You should never plead guilty unless your busted red handed for something and givin a plea bargain.

DONT PLEAD GUILTY, MAKE THEM shoulder the burden of proof. Dont do their job for them!!!

Arro

·
F22C1
944 Posts
true, when i went to court they automatically reduced most of the ppl charges, lower fines and lower to no points. at least show up, dont just pay

·
Law Enforcer
…’22 992 Carrera C2S arriving soon!!!
2,372 Posts
Arrogant, I know that your posts have good intentions, but they are misleading. Laws vary widely from state to state! What's a rule in St.Louis, or "procedure", may or may not be in the state that another person is in! With that being said, CHP radar are calibrated every time an officer uses the vehicle! Yes there are radar classes and CHP officers are required to go get certified. CHP officers usually always show up as well. It's overtime, and they get paid 4 hours no matter how long they are in court.....20 minutes, or 2 hours, it's still 4 hours pay for a smidgen of their time! I've been on both sides of this argument, so I know how you all feel. I caught MAJOR flack in my oral interview w/ the CHP for having so many tickets so I can identify, but I also can identify from the other side of the spectrum.

I'd definitely say fight the ticket, but be warned that if you lose, you may end up paying more for the ticket than if you'd just accepted the speeding ticket and let the judge reduce your fine. More often than not, we're usually speeding when we get a ticket...whether it be 75 in a 65, or 55 in a 45. Yes, you can argue that cops should find better things to do, but when you realize the capacity of the job, you will understand that it is their job to write traffic tickets. With the exception of specialized depts., 85% of the job is writing traffic infractions.

I know another argument will be "abuse of power"!! But you can't group the whole because of a few. There is abuse of power in EVERY occupation, and it's something you have to deal with. I'm sure that some of the members of this site are also guilty of "abuse of power" in their own occupational capacity. It's just the way it works! But not to get off on a tangent, my point is, fight it, but be aware of the possible consequences, because ultimately, the judge makes the decision and is the "trier of law"!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts