BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been bugging me for a long time. (pics below)

It appears that my brake light is not flush against the rear window. At night this is very annoying as the brake light reflects on the inside of the window.

It has been this way for as long as I can remember.

There is a rubber gasket/seal around the brake light that looks like it should be attached to the window to 'enclose it' so it will not reflect on the inside.

Questions

1. Is this normal?
2. Should the rubber seal on the brake light be attached to the window?
3. What is the best way to fix this?

Thanks for looking everyone.

Bimmers in the driveway. Its COCKTAIL hour!!! :str8pimpi





 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,237 Posts
The rubber part does not stick to the window. I remember because I had a dead mosquito in there and just pulled it back to clean the inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My seal is at least 1/4" - 3/8" from the window.

Did you have issues with the brake light reflecting on the inside of the window?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh that "seal" i was thinking 'baby seal' (lead filled snowshoes)...lol

Mine does not seem to be spring loaded... I have tried to push the brake light assembly forward toward the window but it does not seem to want to move. Maybe I need to get rough with her....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been messing around with this light......
Is the rubber seal on the light housing supposed to be flush against the window. I would think so... but I just can not get it to seat properly to do that. The light gasket is at least a good 1/4 inch from the window and I am unable to get it any closer.

Is there supposed to be an adhesive between the light gasket and the window? Again I don't think so but......i don't know.

Any thoughts or input on this would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,237 Posts
I have been messing around with this light......
Is the rubber seal on the light housing supposed to be flush against the window. I would think so... but I just can not get it to seat properly to do that. The light gasket is at least a good 1/4 inch from the window and I am unable to get it any closer.

Is there supposed to be an adhesive between the light gasket and the window? Again I don't think so but......i don't know.

Any thoughts or input on this would be greatly appreciated.
No adhesive is supposed to be there, you could probably fix it with some, but I would not advise that.

Take apart the mechanism and see why it wont seat properly. I would probably just rig something up or visit my local junkyard for a cheap/free replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After much tampering and removal I am still unable to correct this. Nothing appears to be wrong with the housing so I am hesitant to order a new one.

I guess I should anyway if no one else has any 'pearls of wisdom'???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I have the same issue with mine. It's like the black rubber spent too much time in the sun and is starting to sag. My back deck gets washed in red light at night when I brake. All I can think of to do is to re-enforce the rubber itself to keep it from sagging. You might try a thin piece of plastic either cut to the shape of the underneath of the rubber or a larger piece fitted to the topside.

With underneath, you have to make sure it's not too heavy so it pulls the rubber down more. Also, it will have to be a fairly close trimming since it will be somewhat seen from the outside. The plastic I am thinking of is a binder divider. You might even be able to put a bit of a curve in it to help it keep it's shape.

Doing it from the inside might be a bit easier since you will be stacking the rubber to help fill in the gap. Only thing I see with that is you will have to cover close to the entire surface to have a smooth flow of light from the LED's. Here you will want to make sure you cover all of the rubber edge so don't have a 'hole' that would make for more bleeding.

I haven't tackled this problem yet because I had my lights go out. I dabbed the connection with a little bit of di-electric and it seems to be working a lot better now. Also, I have plans for removing the bee-stinger, so I've leaving everything open in order to run a satellite cable in the headliner and down the C pillar.

BTW, a new housing is going to run you about $100. I would be afraid of buying used only for the fact that you might be buying someone else's sag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed. The price of the housing is more than I want to spend to fix this kind of problem. I like where you are going with a fix though. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I tried the plastic piece on top. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than it was before. Of course it worked for a while, then the light went out again. :banghead:

I was going to take pics for a DIY, but I can't say I am too proud of my work....I think I might have to break down and get a new one at some point in time.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top