E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
my moldings are due for a repaint but this might be a better alternative?

does it bend easily? what troubles did you encounter when wrapping. Did you just tuck away the left over material behind it or did you cut the material to an exact fit?

·
Registered
41 Posts
tdevil said:
my moldings are due for a repaint but this might be a better alternative?

does it bend easily? what troubles did you encounter when wrapping. Did you just tuck away the left over material behind it or did you cut the material to an exact fit?
I am so pleased that I decided to wrap the mouldings instead of paint them. By the way. the durability of the tape is supposed to be 5-7 years.

I had very little trouble wrapping them, but learned a few tricks along the way:
1. Wash with water/brush the back of the mouldings to remove dirt, otherwise your fingers will get dirt that will get under the tape.
2. Washed the face of the moulding with a good non-silicone cleaner to remove wax, dirt.
3. On the ends of the door and fender mouldings I first cut and placed on it a tiny piece. I found it too difficult to make a nice wrap all the way around this little 1 inch wide moulding on the ends. By having a little silver on the ends I could trim the main tape piece to wrap only about a millimeter or two over the end.
4. On all the other mouldings I would wrap the tape about 5mm or 1/4" around to the back of the moulding and trimmed any excess, especially over the tabs that secure the moulding to the body.
5. Around the ends of wider mouldings on the rear and front I trimmed the end of the tape (after I have most of it all in place on the moulding) to the shape/curve of the end of the moulding to about 5mm so that there was not too much excess to tuck around to the back of the mould..
6. The curves of large mouldings presented the most difficulty, but careful pulling and smoothing from the center out will allow you to get rid of any creases and bubbles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
how flexible is the tape? i would imagine creases forming at the sharper corners of the moldings.

yukondiver said:
I am so pleased that I decided to wrap the mouldings instead of paint them. By the way. the durability of the tape is supposed to be 5-7 years.

I had very little trouble wrapping them, but learned a few tricks along the way:
1. Wash with water/brush the back of the mouldings to remove dirt, otherwise your fingers will get dirt that will get under the tape.
2. Washed the face of the moulding with a good non-silicone cleaner to remove wax, dirt.
3. On the ends of the door and fender mouldings I first cut and placed on it a tiny piece. I found it too difficult to make a nice wrap all the way around this little 1 inch wide moulding on the ends. By having a little silver on the ends I could trim the main tape piece to wrap only about a millimeter or two over the end.
4. On all the other mouldings I would wrap the tape about 5mm or 1/4" around to the back of the moulding and trimmed any excess, especially over the tabs that secure the moulding to the body.
5. Around the ends of wider mouldings on the rear and front I trimmed the end of the tape (after I have most of it all in place on the moulding) to the shape/curve of the end of the moulding to about 5mm so that there was not too much excess to tuck around to the back of the mould..
6. The curves of large mouldings presented the most difficulty, but careful pulling and smoothing from the center out will allow you to get rid of any creases and bubbles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spray paint

Has anyone tried Krylon metal flat black for this. I too like the look of the black OEM look and I saw someone got them powder coated but I think I would rather just buy OEM. Why wouldn't the metal paint work. That stuff is pretty rugged.

·
Banned
2,174 Posts
glimme said:
Has anyone tried Krylon metal flat black for this. I too like the look of the black OEM look and I saw someone got them powder coated but I think I would rather just buy OEM. Why wouldn't the metal paint work. That stuff is pretty rugged.
Have you searched the forums?? This is the main alternative to buying replacement OEM pieces. Everyone knows that you can paint these pieces... which is why I asked if using the 3M tape would be a suitable alternative, because it might be a lot easier. The hardest part about painting the trim pieces is properly masking them and getting good coverage. With the 3M tape, if you mess up, you can just take it off (I assume).

As for the window trim pieces themselves, aren't they chrome plated plastic as opposed to actual metal? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am doing this pretty soon. I have one question though.

I was putting on a new rear bumper, and it looks like it's impossible to take out the trim pieces without having access to the inside of the bumper. Without pushing out the clips internally, it looks like they would just snap off if you try to pry them out from the outside. Does anyone have any recommendations for taking the rear ones off? I have taken the sides off pretty effortlessly but the rear seems very hard to take off without damaging them.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Nico, use a flathead to pry off the side moldings first (there is a space in between each molding). they seem like they will snap in half, but they won't. trust me. just pull them off really hard.

shad, your best match would be gloss white. matte white will be flat, eggshell is more of a white/yellow, and antique will be too dark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BoostedBoogie said:
Nico, use a flathead to pry off the side moldings first (there is a space in between each molding). they seem like they will snap in half, but they won't. trust me. just pull them off really hard.

shad, your best match would be gloss white. matte white will be flat, eggshell is more of a white/yellow, and antique will be too dark.

Thanks mayn! I am going to order this stuff right now.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
no problem, just when you get them loose, start to pull them off by pulling them towards the side rather than towards yourself. the rear moldings are tricky like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lugnut2683 said:
Have you searched the forums?? This is the main alternative to buying replacement OEM pieces. Everyone knows that you can paint these pieces... which is why I asked if using the 3M tape would be a suitable alternative, because it might be a lot easier. The hardest part about painting the trim pieces is properly masking them and getting good coverage. With the 3M tape, if you mess up, you can just take it off (I assume).

As for the window trim pieces themselves, aren't they chrome plated plastic as opposed to actual metal? :dunno:
I think that they are metal (atleast I thought) I will verify tonight.

·
Registered
321 Posts
wow....i like the results. i wanted to try this only on my window trim. i wanted to do it in black but I think the curvature might be a little to much for the tape to handle. I would want to do it on one continous piece of tape but judging from how many curves the chrome piece has, that might be hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yukondiver, konfoo

do you guys have any pics of the roof trim?? I ordered a roll of film the other day waiting for it to get here then im off to the races. I just wanted to see how the roof trim looks as well as the sides.

-mm

21 - 40 of 348 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.