E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried searching, but "3M" is too short, so can anyone point me in the right direction for doing the exterior moldings with the 3M tape stuff?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
konfoo said:
I just put this on today and it looks fantastic. Really easy to apply. The elasticity is great, it will flex without problems and you can stretch it into the form you want. :woot:
great to hear, can I see some pics perhaps? thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
The rear bumper trim is easy to remove. Start with the rear-side corner of one of the side trim pieces. Push it forward, then pull it out. Remove the middle piece, then repeat with the right-side piece. These just pop out.

The trunk handle has 4 hex bolts holding it in. Unscrew these and pop it out. I just wrapped it while it was attached to the car.

The side panels on the doors and front fenders are a little harder to pop out. Start with a side, ease the top out about 1/4" then repeat with the bottom. Work your way down the trim piece. Take care and don't pull on them, you may bend the trim piece (which is a pain to straighten). You will find there is a clip every 1.5" or so on these panels.

Some folks have said if the side panel trim is bent it is impossible to straighten and you're best off getting new trim - nonsense. Instead you should get new grommits from the local dealer, and clips for any that you break. Don't use the old grommits even if they look ok. These are like 25c each. You'll need 36 or so.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is there a proven matching color for Silver Gray A08? I had mine painted but they already have a few dings in them and this seems like a better solution. Has anyone found a matching 3m color for silver gray?

·
Registered
41 Posts
konfoo said:
I just put this on today and it looks fantastic. Really easy to apply. The elasticity is great, it will flex without problems and you can stretch it into the form you want. :woot:
I agree. It was quite easy to work with. It will tear if stretched too much, but a with a little finesse and patience a real nice job can be had. Thank you 'konfoo' for the tips on the moulding removal!

For only $14 I bought 5 feet of 24" wide 7725-120 from a local shop; this amount of material was more than enough. With only 4 hours of work I produced a very acceptable job covering the exterior body side moulding. The 120 color is a very close match to Titanium Silber, only very slightly darker. I am very happy with the results, as you can see in these pictures.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 348 Posts