E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see if anyone has used 3M DiNoc vinyl to wrap their interior parts. I've got some scratches and bubbles on my arm wrests and they drive me crazy. I'm looking for the best way to make it look good without breaking the bank.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
please search

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yea I need to re wrap my trim on the dash... The middle piece is bubbling

·
Registered
0 Posts
i used it, i thought the process was quite easy. you can mess up and reuse the wrap. make sure the surface is clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
3M Di-Noc is an excellent product! If you have bubbling or scratches in the paint finish of your armrests, then you would need to sand them before applying the wrap. Although the wrap will cover everything with a new carbon fiber finish, all of the imperfections underneath will show through.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
'scratches and bubbles'.. does this mean your interior is already wrapped and there are bubbles? and you used another wrap as opposed to 3M?

·
Registered
325 Posts
That actually looks pretty clean! I've been repainting my interior trim with a really sweet red color! That's always an option too if you want a more personalized custom look

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Di-NOC is some good stuff. Start with the dash panels first, to get a feel for working with it. You will need to use heat to get on the armrests, so the other pieces are good practice, since they require a little. Don't use a heat gun, it is way too hot, and once you apply too much heat, it is ruined. Use a hair dryer, on the coolest setting, and take your time. They have some brushed metal types now that look really good. The best part is that you can peel it right off when you decide to sell, or if you just don't like it. Make sure you get your grain going the same direction though, please. It will look fvcked up if you have it going all different ways. I got mine from here:http://stores.ebay.com/MetroRestyling

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3M Di-Noc is an excellent product! If you have bubbling or scratches in the paint finish of your armrests, then you would need to sand them before applying the wrap. Although the wrap will cover everything with a new carbon fiber finish, all of the imperfections underneath will show through.
Good to know. I'm not the best with this kind of thing and will have it professionally done. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about prior to going in to talk to someone about having it done. My armrests are in pretty bad shape, I don't have any pictures, but I'd think if it was sanded down, everything should look good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That actually looks pretty clean! I've been repainting my interior trim with a really sweet red color! That's always an option too if you want a more personalized custom look
I painted mine red and it looked disgusting. Ended up painting it black....

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Good to know. I'm not the best with this kind of thing and will have it professionally done. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about prior to going in to talk to someone about having it done. My armrests are in pretty bad shape, I don't have any pictures, but I'd think if it was sanded down, everything should look good.
There is a guy on the forums who does this stuff for you. You just send him your parts. I think he was charging $150. His stuff looked great, so you may want to search for him.

·
Registered
390 Posts
not to thread jack or anything but i bought some of that 3M dinoc stuff for my interior but since im in GA and it gets very hot in my car, it has a heat gun effect and the vinyl starts to lift around the edges a little is there a way to stop that?mostly on the driver and passenger side arm rest....where the inside curves!

·
Registered
390 Posts
and if i had to take it off and attempt again to i have to remove the panel or could i just do it over since the vinyl has a good amount of flex?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
not to thread jack or anything but i bought some of that 3M dinoc stuff for my interior but since im in GA and it gets very hot in my car, it has a heat gun effect and the vinyl starts to lift around the edges a little is there a way to stop that?mostly on the driver and passenger side arm rest....where the inside curves!
Are your windows tinted? Because mine are, and I have not had that problem. Of course, mine is in a garage all day too, for the most part. I guess that is the difference.
I think you will have to remove the panels, and fold it over again. But that may not end up looking very good. It makes you wonder how it works out for the people who do their hoods, roofs, etc. I have even seen whole cars covered with that stuff. I have a feeling that it does not age well. If you did the whole car, it would look like sh!t after a few rocks or bugs hit it on the interstate. You may have to go back to wood panels, or do what I am doing, and buying some real CF fabric. I only tried it to see how the real stuff would look.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Are your windows tinted? Because mine are, and I have not had that problem. Of course, mine is in a garage all day too, for the most part. I guess that is the difference.
I think you will have to remove the panels, and fold it over again. But that may not end up looking very good. It makes you wonder how it works out for the people who do their hoods, roofs, etc. I have even seen whole cars covered with that stuff. I have a feeling that it does not age well. If you did the whole car, it would look like sh!t after a few rocks or bugs hit it on the interstate. You may have to go back to wood panels, or do what I am doing, and buying some real CF fabric. I only tried it to see how the real stuff would look.
Yes my windows are tinted very dark.
My car usually sits in the parking lot for about 8 to 9 hours at a time while at work.
And when I open the door and all heat slaps me in the face, I look at my door handle and it
Its bubbled and lifted around the edges.kinda embarrassing!!

Where do I get the real CF FABRIC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts