E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for even MORE light? Upgrade to a 55w ballast!

Just received the newest apexcone super slim 55w ballasts and I must say im pretty impressed with the intensity difference. The 55w is very noticably brighter then 35w, and best of all they arent the previous gen super large 55w ballasts.

What does this mean? No more modifying OEM ballasts to "boost" them. These are brand new, they are super slim, and best of all carry a lifetime warranty. What more could you want?

Just wanted to show the comparison I made earlier today, in case anyone was on the fence about the 55w vs. 35w kit.

These pictures were not modified in any way, all you digi photo gurus feel free to check the properties for proof :)

You can purchase these kits new at EAS :)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/index.php?cPath=67_193_341

·
Registered
405 Posts
OMG i cant wait... i have this same kit sitting in my room waiting to be installed possibly tomorrow.

haha only thing is..i'll be upgrading from halogen to 55W:excited:

ill try and post pics of mine too!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The comparison you do isn't fair since you compare the most intense part of the beam pattern with the 55w and the less intense for the 35w.
I am not saying there is no difference but look how less magnified is the result if you switch positions to the photos.Left 55 vs right 35w

I hope it is ok I used your photos to show you my point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
And if I take it a step further I could cover up most of the intense part left for the 55w beam and claim the difference is minimal!(Which is not the case but when you play with photos you can alert the result in many ways)

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brighter is still brighter. Technically the beam is the same intensity as this was taken at roughly 30 feet away and we are looking at the center of the beam (as you can see the step)

I would say this is 100% fair and 100% valid.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i just got mine in...its crazy the difference from going from halogen to 55w:excited:

my fogs matched my lights perfectly...now they look like a dirty yellow color haha:confused:

i will be working on putting together a tutorial on how i did this. it took me forever because i've never done this before. i could do this now again in 1/4 of the amount of time. now all thats left to do is adjust the height of the bulbs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i just got mine in...its crazy the difference from going from halogen to 55w:excited:

my fogs matched my lights perfectly...now they look like a dirty yellow color haha:confused:

i will be working on putting together a tutorial on how i did this. it took me forever because i've never done this before. i could do this now again in 1/4 of the amount of time. now all thats left to do is adjust the height of the bulbs.
pics dude!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
nice comparison.

·
european auto source
12,194 Posts
Wow where can I purchase just the ballasts? I already have HID bulbs. They came as part of a 35w kit
We can get you the ballasts separately, you would be better purchasing the entire kit for a few dollars more and get the lifetime warranty.

FYI - these are the Apexcone HID system used in the comparison, not the Prolemens.

·
european auto source
12,194 Posts
What HID 50W bulbs do you use (model number, brand ect.)? Where ballasts made?
Both ballasts and bulbs are apexcone brand and offer a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
17,031 Posts
I need to replace my blown xenons. I have stock projectors / ballasts. If I want to upgrade to 55W all I need to do is purchase a 55W ballast? Is this a plug and play swap with OE xenons?
What HID 50W bulbs do you use (model number, brand ect.)? Where ballasts made?
All the ballasts are almost always made in Taiwan and China. You'll notice some vendors won't release that information but it's no secret. It doesn't change the quailty in many cases if you buy real Prolumen...they have real 50W ballasts with real 50W bulbs. Bear in mind, if you do 50W upgrades for your stock system, you will lose the bixenon feature.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.