BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im really looking into getting a 335xi. I like the idea of the 4wd but i was wondering if performance is going to suffer compared to the 335i rwd. I know the ride height on the xi is higher so the first thing i would do would be to drop it on kw that would take care of that. Besides that is there anything else visible to the xi that is different than a rwd i.? Also for performance is there a decrease in performance b/c the car is 4wd?
let me know guys....

·
Banned
611 Posts
There really is no other significant differences between the two other than the XI model sitting a little bit higher. The only other thing is that, being AWD, it will have more power train loss at higher speeds but that's nothing major unless you're doing 100 mph in the snow.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the responce, yea the height was the only thing that i noticed visually. So the acceleration will pretty much be the same as a 335i and everything else should be pretty close then too?? i think thats about right, the xi will affect only the high speed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It cant be that much heavier and burn that much gas right? Im more worried about the performance being affected. 0-60 etc. But the xi would be able to launch off the line i thiknk better than an i with no lsd?

·
Banned
611 Posts
0-60 XI will be faster due to greater traction but when you go from say 60-100 the RWD will be faster (less power train loss). I think most people would agree when I say that RWD is better in terms of handling because AWD will produce more understeer. While the difference in performance may not be THAT much, it's still a difference.

If I were living in a city/state that requires AWD, I would go with the AWD in a heart beat because the difference in performance is negligible IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.