BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Do a search, there's quite a few threads on this same topic. I would go with an M3 for sure! I'm just not in love with the new body style yet plus nothing beats an M3 and there aren't a lot of mods for E92s yet.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,540 Posts
if you plan on taking it to the track, get the M3. 335 stock will beat the M3 stock in a straight line for awhile. But when it comes to handling, M3 has it.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
m3

its gonna depreciate less, the 335 is brand new, 45k today 25k in 3 years. 03 m3 is 35k now, 25k at worst 3 years from now...

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
from what I have noticed the next gen highest non-M car is just barely below the prev gen M car in performance, that said I love the M3 but I really, really love the 335i and at 30mpg highway how can you complain?? seriously tho it's up to you, the e46 interior is much nicer and let me tell you, imho, I don't know how, after having the center console mounted window switches, I could ever go back to a car where they are located in the usual spot. where they are in the e46 and older bimmers is so much more driver oriented, even the emergency flashers are in a great spot (I don't tailgate, but if someone is going well below the speed limit then they go on!!!) lol okay enough rambling this is another one of those endless fight threads so here we go!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
What about when the E92 M3 comes out? Don't you think the E46 M3 will depreciate a little faster?
the Ms historically held their value very very well, and what he said makes sense given what e36 M3s go for even now. That said the e46 M3 is the first one that has really taken off, BMW sold a sh!tload here so there are more out there to dilute the pool and possibly bring down values, that's one nice thing about the audi s4, supposedly there were only 2000 brought here each year

·
Registered
185 Posts
if you plan on taking it to the track, get the M3. 335 stock will beat the M3 stock in a straight line for awhile. But when it comes to handling, M3 has it.
mm the m3 stock is faster than a 335i not by much but it still beats it

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
mm the m3 stock is faster than a 335i not by much but it still beats it
be careful on that one, mags are finding that there are some stock factory freaks of the e92, for instance edmunds got an auto 335i that hit 60in 4.8 secs and got 279 whp on the dyno, with a stick who knows what that freak may be doing, since teh e92 stick is supposed to be .2 secs faster than the auto to 60, don't remember the 1/4 time/mph but they were respectable

·
Registered
27 Posts
Turbo = POWER

If you've ever driven and modified a turbo car you'd already know that there is massive potential for large HP gains with VERY little work (usually in just the programming, one small download could probably get you over 350 very reliable hp at the wheels on a broad torque curve.) If power is what your after 335, if you want to go fast and be graceful with least effort then go M3. If you're a gearhead like me you'll get more long term enjoyment playing with the turbo version. But it's really apples and oranges... M's are gorgeous and hard to beat.

let the beating commence!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kinda stuck on which one I should get, I love them both. What do you all say.
I am in the same situation as you.

This is my opinion

M3
pros: looks much better inside and out, M badge, M soul, engine sounds better, handle little bit better
cons: outdated, worse mpg, more expensive insurance

pros: newer, awesome low-end TQ, faster in straight line (especially with mods)
cons: looks fugly (too long when you see from the side), interior sucks

335 is a logical choice but there is something about an M3 that makes me :drool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would say 335i if i was keeping it on the streets the low end torque should be sick!!

If you need a track car M3 will be your best bet

1 - 20 of 61 Posts