BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting a 335i in manual, can anyone chime in regards to transmission and clutch feel vs E46 M3. Mostly Im concerned about clutch feel, my brothers 545i has no feedback and is horrible, so Im hoping they kept the 335i a bit sportier. Anyone drove both and can give an honest comparison?

Also I want the sedan, but I would imagine the sedan and coupe have the same transmission + clutch, or am I wrong?

Thx.

·
Loves cookies
1,879 Posts
I've only driven the auto version of the 335i so i cant relate but i would like to know as well. Auto 335i is fast as hell though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Much lighter effort in the 335i than the M3. It's not that the M3 is heavy per se, but from what I've heard the 335 is like a feather. Haven't actually driven one though so wait for some other responses to confirm.

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
you should schedule an appointment on any bmw dealer. and see for yourself. my best advise cuz here you will only get pros and cons

·
Loves cookies
1,879 Posts
Exactly, and the ride is MUCH softer than the E46M. It is almost dissapointing.
I agree not really softer but much more refined than E46. The E92 needs to be a little less refined which i hope BMW will address if they release a 335i ZHP version, til then i have no current plans to buy a E92 335i even though the sexy design and power are tempting.

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
drove an e90 over the summer.....

no clutch feel at all...... feels like a VW
and it engages in about a 1/4 of an inch

i'm pretty good with adjusting to different clutches, and that e90 was kinda tough.....
could be because it was brand new, but it engaged way too fast for me

but maybe after a 1000 miles when its broken in it should be fine :dunno:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to test drive one but its hard finding a manual in the area, apparently everyone is getting automatics.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I'd love to test drive one but its hard finding a manual in the area, apparently everyone is getting automatics.
Maybe you have it backwards, everybody is getting a manual, because all that is left at the dealer's is automatics :shhh:

·
Mod Squad
12,623 Posts
"General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!"

:eeps:

/Fixed

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I need the opinion of a person who drove both an E46 and an E90, and since I've owned an E46 for four years I figured I'd stick to where I been. :)
"General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!"

:eeps:

/Fixed

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
if you are going from an e90 330i to a 335i its similar, and you wouldnt even notice the difference. I had an e90 330i 6 speed, but once i bought the M and got used to it. Drove my buddies 335i. Well for one the arm rest really pisses me off on the 1-2 shift (Something i did not notice when i had the e90) the clutch is like a feather and the stick feels extremely flimsy and feels like the throws are much longer than in the M.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really like the clutch feel and shift action of my manual 330i. I've driven many performance cars and must say the BMW clutch and shifter are better than average. Many love Honda's slick shifter but I don't like the shift feel, especially when cold, and the clutch can be touchy. I find VWs to have a long clutch travel and not a very satisfying shifter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts