BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm lloking at a couple 330Xi's, and I'm wondering how capable they are when it comes to performance upgrades. Like what can be done to them? and what are the highest power numbers anyone in here has.

Not that I'm looking to track my car, but I like adding performance parts to my car because I like to enjoy "spirited" driving.

Any input would be awesome.

and yes my flame suit is on

·
Registered
95 Posts
NA motors are not great for $/hp gains. Audi turbo motors are a better platform to start if you are looking to get the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You won't get much without spending a good amount of money..you'll be starting at a disadvantage to begin with because of the awd so to get it above 200whp will be a project in itself. Handling and braking isn't much more expensive than anyother platform so that is an area you could improve on quite a bit without investing too much. If you've driven them before and this you'd be happy with the power then I'd say you'll enjoy it, but don't expect to get gobs of power without spending a few grand.

The two cars I had before the 330xi were 300whp and 520whp respectively and even though I loved the power, I'm very happy with the 330 overall even with the lack of hp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NA motors are not great for $/hp gains. Audi turbo motors are a better platform to start if you are looking to get the best bang for your buck.
Yea, I had 2 audis before and i loved them, but I'm leaning away from them for the time being. I'm moving to an Xi cause I want something more refined that I won't be as insane with.

I'm not looking for extreme amounts of power, I just want enough to get onto the highway and not have the car bog down when i step on it. If i can make 200 and have the car breathe enough to not stumble on itself I'll be happy.

I appreciate all of the input that I'm getting from you guys

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
a 330xi will not bog down on the highway. even my 325xi is fine on the highway.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I have Technik headers, Eisenmann exhaust, high flow cats, aFe intake, & an Active Autowerks tune....and feel nothing.

Hahaha the headers were the biggest improvement. I definitely felt a greater throttle response after installing them. I got the AA tune last (and for free thank god) and I didn't feel any change. I would enjoy dyno-ing it though to see just what my mods did (if anything)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would be looking at 04 manuals if buying today. 6 speed and later into the model years is worth the premium. If autobox, then any year is good with detailed maintenance records.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 to Chsu74's point about 6-spd manuals. I have a 2003 330xi with 6-spd and it has a build date of 04/2003. I believe it was mid-production 2003 models where they switched to the 6-spd manual box.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
+1 to Chsu74's point about 6-spd manuals. I have a 2003 330xi with 6-spd and it has a build date of 04/2003. I believe it was mid-production 2003 models where they switched to the 6-spd manual box.
+2 6spd means better gas mileage. I easily average ~33-34mpg on the freeway when cruising at 72mph. If I go slower than that, the mpg goes even higher.

·
Registered
336 Posts
6 speed is a must, the price difference when I bought was huge but these days I would not consider anything else.

Also, if the 330 the OP tested "bogs down on highway"....
It's a dud, don't buy it lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Headers give you the best gain in power. The dinan long tube intake gives you 6whp. Pulleys will gain you back some power, not make you more. Lightweight flywheel same thing of gaining power back basically. Tune will probably help tie things together (havent gotten one yet) and give you a couple extra hp. Other than going f/i thats about it.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I have Technik headers, Eisenmann exhaust, high flow cats, aFe intake, & an Active Autowerks tune....and feel nothing.

Hahaha the headers were the biggest improvement. I definitely felt a greater throttle response after installing them. I got the AA tune last (and for free thank god) and I didn't feel any change. I would enjoy dyno-ing it though to see just what my mods did (if anything)
Interesting. I have been considering an AA tune. Now that I know this, I can put the $$ towards my wedding.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Just leave it alone. The 330xi is perfectly fine for what you're doing and you'll be better off leaving it be. Want more power, AWD, and reliability? Get a WRX.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts