BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month, I sold a 2002 330Xi with 100,300 miles on it for $9,500. We purchased it from an independent dealership in 2006 for $27,500 including tax and license. At that time, the BMW had about 45,800 miles on the odometer. Over the five years of ownership, we spent about $10,800 on repairs and routine maintenance.

The cost of repairs included replacing the alternator, drive shaft, power steering hose, idler pulley, water pump, thermostat housing, front and rear brake pads and rotors, oil temperature sensor, belts, control arm bushing, motor mounts, several window regulators, wheel bearings, parking brakes, automatic transmission fluid and filter, power steering pump, manifold adjuster valve, engine gasket, expansion tank, radiator hoses, fan clutch, AC tensioner pulley, AC belt idler, and oil housing gasket.

While the cost of up keeping the BMW is about 3.6 times more than my Toyota and Lexus, the BMW 3-series is 10 times more enjoyable to drive and own. Over the past 27 years, I’ve owned a Chevy, two Toyotas, two VWs, Volvo, Mercedes, Lexus and two BMWs. The BMW 3-series is by far is the best driving car. The interaction between the steering wheel and the road is impressive and important to me.

After we sold the BMW, we were going to look at Honda, Acura, Audi and Lexus, but the family ended up buying a 2011 Mini Cooper S. The fun continues.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hmmm, if I calculate this correctly it cost you $29k to own/enjoy your bimmer for 5 years/55k miles.
That's $5,800 a year at 11k miles/yr.

Sounds like a brand new 328i lease is a much better deal. I think the repairs killed you.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
nice! the mini is AWD right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hmmm, if I calculate this correctly it cost you $29k to own/enjoy your bimmer for 5 years/55k miles.

Sounds like a brand new 328i lease is a much better deal. I think the repairs killed you.
Yea, he pretty much prepped the car trouble free for the next K100 miles .. then sold it!

New owner must be thrilled.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You are right. We would have been well off and less stressed with a 328i lease but at that time we did not know that the used 2002 BMW 330Xi was full of problems when we drove it off the lot. We learned an expensive lesson having to literally replace every part. It was a fun car to drive but I'm certain the previous owner did not take care of the car. The person who purchased our car should not have the same issue since we replaced all the major parts.

The Mini (not AWD) comes with a three year maintenance program.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
any pics of the mini?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mini's interior is ugly as hell. Other than that they're nice cars
You obviously don't own one. They have a nice interior with a good tachometer setup right on top of the steering wheel. The space inside the car is huge, even though it is a coupe, and it sounds much nicer than a e46. It is also much more fun to drive than a e46 3 series. I can tell you this because i have an e46 and my brother has a 2011 mini. You really can't compare the two but if it was an e90 then that's a different story.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just because you can afford to buy a BMW doesn't mean you can afford to drive it.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Sounds like you took the car to the dealer for those repairs, hence you spent a lot and missed half the joy of owning a pre-E9x BMW; the ease of fun of DIYing!

Congrats on the Mini S purchase! Driven a Mini before and enjoyed it...I hear nice things about the newer ones and S models in particular, enjoy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I'm on my 4th Bimmer and can't say I've ever had serious maintenance issues. Currently own and drive 2000 M Roadster, 2006 330Ci coupe (zhp) and a 2008 335xi coupe. Pretty much check the tire pressure and change the oil and follow prescribed maintenance plan. BTW, I've tracked the '06 twice, rode it hard, and it still runs as pretty as a coed on the track team.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
That's the problem with German cars, like BMW and MB. Their quality is not as consistent as these Japanese luxury brands.

If you are unlucky it is a completely different ownership experience.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Last month, I sold a 2002 330Xi with 100,300 miles on it for $9,500. We purchased it from an independent dealership in 2006 for $27,500 including tax and license. At that time, the BMW had about 45,800 miles on the odometer. Over the five years of ownership, we spent about $10,800 on repairs and routine maintenance.

The cost of repairs included replacing the alternator, drive shaft, power steering hose, idler pulley, water pump, thermostat housing, front and rear brake pads and rotors, oil temperature sensor, belts, control arm bushing, motor mounts, several window regulators, wheel bearings, parking brakes, automatic transmission fluid and filter, power steering pump, manifold adjuster valve, engine gasket, expansion tank, radiator hoses, fan clutch, AC tensioner pulley, AC belt idler, and oil housing gasket.

While the cost of up keeping the BMW is about 3.6 times more than my Toyota and Lexus, the BMW 3-series is 10 times more enjoyable to drive and own. Over the past 27 years, I've owned a Chevy, two Toyotas, two VWs, Volvo, Mercedes, Lexus and two BMWs. The BMW 3-series is by far is the best driving car. The interaction between the steering wheel and the road is impressive and important to me.

After we sold the BMW, we were going to look at Honda, Acura, Audi and Lexus, but the family ended up buying a 2011 Mini Cooper S. The fun continues.

Sounds like you paid someone to do all that work, right? I'm kinda in the same boat except that I'm only out the cost of parts, which is probably only around 1/3 of what you spent and I'm at 138k miles and she runs like new. I can tell you this, however, I wont be keeping this car to 200k miles. I don't want to have to do all of the 100k mile maintenance stuff all over again. In fact, I'll probably only keep this car another year or two and then get into another expensive-to-own something or other. Right now my car is probably worthy around 9000 give or take 1000. There's no way I'm putting another 3000 into the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts