BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wobble that is felt in the steering wheel while driving at 55 MPH. The car smooths out after hitting 60 MPH. Any ideas?

New brakes and rotors
New axles
New struts and springs
New front control are and bushings
New tires
Wheels have been checked for damage (none)
Wheels/tires have been balanced
Alignment performed after front end work

**Wobble was there previous to new parts**

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a wobble that is felt in the steering wheel while driving at 55 MPH. The car smooths out after hitting 60 MPH. Any ideas?

New brakes and rotors
New axles
New struts and springs
New front control are and bushings
New tires
Wheels have been checked for damage (none)
Wheels/tires have been balanced
Alignment performed after front end work

**Wobble was there previous to new parts**
Had a similar issue, a shop had installed aftermarket front end parts(garbage when new), and pressed in the new bushings improperly(not at xi specific offset). I ended up replacing the lower control arms, upper ball joints, lollipop brackets/bushings all with factory parts to spec. The shimmy went away, and way better on the highway. I should say, I'd already replaced the guibo/coupler in the steering column. My tie rod assemblies were in decent shape(IE not new, but tight).
You might go through and check the above mentioned parts for anything out of spec.
regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I***8217;ll definitely check those parts. I have checked a lot of it already by putting it on a lift and checking for anything loose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tie rods..... I replaced the inner and outer tie rods and the shake is gone. There was no clunking or clicking, but they were definitely not new. Thanks for the suggestions and advice!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Tie rods..... I replaced the inner and outer tie rods and the shake is gone. There was no clunking or clicking, but they were definitely not new. Thanks for the suggestions and advice!!
Nice! Glad you solved it. These are such tanks when they are buttoned up and running correctly. It will probably vastly improve the service life of tires as well.
Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts