E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Last October I picked up a used 2003 330i to convert into a track build and have been doing most of the standard preventative track maintenance this winter. One of these items is the shift pin/detent replacement since this car had intermittent 5th gear lean.

5th and reverse went by pretty easily, as did 2 of the 3 shift pins up top. The final shift pin already had the replacement split bushing with the orange ring inside. "Odd, but I have the parts and 5th and reverse were pretty easy to split and remove. Might as well replace it too" my dumb ass thought as I attempted to remove the shift pin bushing.

What a disaster. The shift pins up top are nowhere near as easy to remove and I now have a pretty beat up bushing surface and worse, likely some shavings/bits of bushing that broke off in the housing. I'm completely unable to find a rebuild manual or guide for the trans (s5d-320z) online, or find a reasonably priced used one that wouldn't be a shot in the dark 150k+ guess. The paranoia is getting the best of me here so I am looking for some advice or assistance with the options I can think of.

Option 1: Split the case myself, clean it up. Clean up the bore on the bushing surface, reassemble. Very nervous to do this without any manual/definitive advice online for procedure, and end up putting myself in a worse place than I am today.

Option 2: Find a shop to split the case, clean it up, check out what's going on in there and reassemble. Would feel pretty stupid to go through all that effort and money without rebuilding or replacing some of the easier to reach bearings/seals, which would just add up the cost tremendously.

Option 3: Flush out the transmission before reassembling the bushing with a magnetic drain plug several times. I could check for any large chunks coming out and make a judgement call there. Otherwise, if I reinstall and anything goes bad, I'm back at square 1 needing to open the case, but then I'd know it wasn't due to paranoia.

Option 4: Ideal if I can find one at the right price. Find a junkyard transmission or a used one nearby. Put that in the car for now and slowly rebuild the current transmission without the pressure until it becomes the "golden" transmission. Problem here is that it seems they are scarce, I've spent the past 2 weeks googling and scouring fb groups and have finally decided to just make an account and post my own inquiry here.

Anyone have any similar experience? Thoughts? Ideas on where I can find a rebuild guide for one of these things? Anyone near SE Michigan selling a used transmission?

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Option 3, for sure.

I made a complete mess of the first one, too, and as long as you get the bore for the detent
back to 'mostly round' so the bushing doesn't distort, you're fine.
35k later, nothing bad's happened.

Aluminum cases are dead soft for hardened steel gears, so the transmission
isn't going to care about a little jetsam off the top- if it has to, it'll pulverize it
without even noticing, but it's more likely to just end up embedded in the sludge
in the bottom of the case.

t
no sweat on this one.

·
Registered
2002 E46 330Ci ZSP - Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Leather Interior
34 Posts
I pulled the 5th gear sleeve just fine but the reverse is all crumpled at the bottom and I have no way of getting it out so I am contemplating on trying to break it up in there. I am currently weighing option 3, I thought of overfilling the transmission, draining, put the oil through a sieve and continue draining as much as I can. I found out that these things are magnetic and I want to try some strong magnets around the case too.

You're right about the repair manuals, nothing exists or has been made easily accessible (at this point I am willing to pay some serious money). I have seen manuals for other ZF trannys but nothing for the 5SD 320

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.