BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
i doubt a 260hp a4 would "murder" a 330i zhp or not. look at the g35, it has 260hp too and it didnt do that well against a 330.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Japanese cars are known to over estimate the horsepower in their cars, you cannot compare the 350z with a hooked up audi, i think the 350z is pushing out about 220hp while the audi with a stage 3 turbo will push out 260 real ponies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Murder is exaggerating. Fun race to watch.

G35 does weigh around 3435 lbs.

Both sites are bias... IMO

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
I've been in a heavily modded A4 1.8T (B5) and a 330ci (not performance package, but with cai and exhaust) and the A4 felt blistering fast, more inline with what you think of in a turbo car. Whereas the 330 just pulled strong the whole way.

Dollar for dollar, you'll get more HP out of the turbo'd Audi and it definitely feels quicker.

·
Rogue Engineering
2,498 Posts
Werd...When I was an active member of the Audi family I got to ride in a few cars with Stage III, and a couple with the T-28 Turbo. These cars put 260 at least down to the wheels. The Stage III and T28 are in the 270-300hp range. And yes they are freakin fast...

·
Registered
946 Posts
ma sis is about to get an audi a4 1.8t....guess i have to somehow get a chip on it without her knowing

·
all stock
387 Posts
Audis can be very fast. A stage 2+ kit we're putting out for the Audi with a turbo exhaust housing we built puts down 300hp at the wheels on a Quattro (4WD). Just recently ran the car at the 1/4 mile track. Fully loaded, street tires [email protected]

·
Registered
150 Posts
KingA4 said:
Japanese cars are known to over estimate the horsepower in their cars, you cannot compare the 350z with a hooked up audi, i think the 350z is pushing out about 220hp while the audi with a stage 3 turbo will push out 260 real ponies.
First off the 350z & G35 coupe have 280 horses and the tests you usually see are for the G35 sedan, that has 260 hp and the first year they came out you could only get them in automatic.

My point:acceleration runs (in car mags) on the G35 sedan (260hp) are off an amutomic therefore it is slower than the 330i PP stick.

·
Registered
618 Posts
ilovebmw said:
ma sis is about to get an audi a4 1.8t....guess i have to somehow get a chip on it without her knowing
Hey bro, I thought your sis hated german cars?

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,378 Posts
Makes you wonder what BMW could've done if they had taken the 1.9L (or is it 2.0L now) 4 cyl from the 318 and put a turbo on it...apparently that goes against company philosophy, though.

I think I might've picked a factory turbo 318 over a 323/328 if such a thing existed. A lot of tuning potential for the turbo engine...that said, a turbo on the 6 cyl engine would be even sweeter. :thumbup:

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,823 Posts
My friend as a b5 a4 1.8t APR stage 3 and it is faster than my 330i but not that much. His car is clearly faster, but murder does not come to mind. He is of course still on beat up stock clutch so we will have to see what happens when he gets a new clutch.

What people on Audi world tend to forget is that while Quattro is cool it does increase drive line loss. So 280 HP or whatever in the A4 is losing at least 5% more than the RWD BMWs. Also hauling around the extra drive train junk doesn't help speed.

Also a turbo car almost always FEELS faster because of how the boost kicks in.

Tim

·
Registered
41 Posts
KingA4 said:
:rolleyes: you don't know what you're talking about. You even used the wrong terminology and confused wheel horsepower with crank horsepower. If you said that Nissan overrates their engine, then yes you're probably correct but to claim that all Japanese car companies do that just means you're full of sh!t.

2004 Honda S2000 underrated by 26 horsepower and 21 lb-ft. torque. http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=171514&page_number=2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts