E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story: I'm an idiot.

Long Story: So over the summer I bought a magnaflow muffler off of amazon (Part# 14816) under the assumption that it would be a pretty decent fit for my E46. What I did not know, or even notice about my car is that the 330i actually has dual inlets unlike the rest of the non-M models. The guy at the muffler shop told me that he could still put it on but would have to fabricate a Y-pipe in order to do wo which would run me about $200. Considerably more than the $80 I was planning on spending for the labor.

My question is that is there another Magnaflow muffler that would be a possible fit for the 330i model without having to do a ton of modification?

Before you suggest it, a full catback system is a bit out of my price range. I'm just going for a better sound not so much for performance gains. Also, I'm not big on doing the muffler delete completely. I want something that has a better sound that stock without being super load (obnoxious).

Any suggestions, or should I just suck it up and drop the $200 bones to get that one put on?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, welding a Y-pipe on and then attaching the muffler is pretty much what he would be charging me the $200 for.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
either return the muffler and get the right one. magnaflows catalog is pretty good and will show you what fits your car specifically...

even if you buy a cheaper y pipe online he might want 200 to do the job. i would find another welder. it should be a 100 dollar job
Unfortunately they don't have an equivalent muffler to fit my car. Not that I could find at least. Even when I looked in their catalogue, every muffler that they had listed was single-inlet (my current one was on that list). When I called customer service, their tech wasn't too much help. He pretty much told me that since they are universal they don't necessarily have on that is a direct fit.

I have another friend who does welding. I might ask him what he would charge me for doing this.

P.S. I love your wrap job btw.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.