BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So i recently snapped in half one of my CV axles on my bimmer drifting it. Before getting the swap it was a 318i and i kept all of the stock transmision components (except gearbox). I now want to put some 330i or 328i rear cv axles to prevent them from snapping again.
My question is: are the stock 318i cv axles different from, say, 330i axles? I searched RealOem and found that the cv axle code and specs are the same for both models.
If so, how can i upgrade my current axles?

Note: car has a welded diff.

·
Registered
804 Posts
THe 330 rear ends are bigger in most areas. The differential is bigger, but it fits into the 318 housing according to Realoem. The 330 axles fit into the rear wheel bearing according to Realoem.

Ie the housing and wheel bearings are the same part numbers between the 318 and 330.

I think therefore that the 330 axle will be shorter than 318i. Also axle connections to diff are larger diameter in 330.

I have a 318 that now has a 330 engine in it and have just bought a complete rear end from a 330 5 speed.

Now looking for a 6 speed and drive shaft.

Garry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THe 330 rear ends are bigger in most areas. The differential is bigger, but it fits into the 318 housing according to Realoem. The 330 axles fit into the rear wheel bearing according to Realoem.

Ie the housing and wheel bearings are the same part numbers between the 318 and 330.

I think therefore that the 330 axle will be shorter than 318i. Also axle connections to diff are larger diameter in 330.

I have a 318 that now has a 330 engine in it and have just bought a complete rear end from a 330 5 speed.

Now looking for a 6 speed and drive shaft.

Garry
Well, thanks a lot Garry!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts