E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am at a loss. Last weekend replaced the Oil Filter Housing Gasket. Stripped the Alternator, Power Seering pump etc to get at it. While I had the parts off, I used my pressure cleaner to wash away a few years worth of oil change on the outside of the engine, put everything back to gether, and drove away a happy man. However, (ther is always a However) I find the cruise control will not engage No green light, nothing.
OK, I think it may be a fuse, but a funny thing is happening

turn engine on. Press cruise control, green lihht comes on. Put foot on brake, green light goes off and will not come on again. Turn engine off, and repeat above process, same result.

I'm thinking I did something under the car, or when I was washing it.

Obviously, there are a number of connectors at the PS Resevior, Alternator, and OFH. Are any of these related to cruise control? I may have got water in the connection, and when I put the brake on, this shorts the cruise. Failing that, I am at a complete loss. Any one have any GOOD ideas?:hmm:

Dave

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
OK, I am at a loss. Last weekend replaced the Oil Filter Housing Gasket. Stripped the Alternator, Power Seering pump etc to get at it. While I had the parts off, I used my pressure cleaner to wash away a few years worth of oil change on the outside of the engine, put everything back to gether, and drove away a happy man. However, (ther is always a However) I find the cruise control will not engage No green light, nothing.
OK, I think it may be a fuse, but a funny thing is happening

turn engine on. Press cruise control, green lihht comes on. Put foot on brake, green light goes off and will not come on again. Turn engine off, and repeat above process, same result.

I'm thinking I did something under the car, or when I was washing it.

Obviously, there are a number of connectors at the PS Resevior, Alternator, and OFH. Are any of these related to cruise control? I may have got water in the connection, and when I put the brake on, this shorts the cruise. Failing that, I am at a complete loss. Any one have any GOOD ideas?:hmm:

Dave
When you press the brake pedal, the Cruise is disabled until the car thinks you have taken your foot off of the brake. Your desctiption is that the car _thinks_ you still have your foot on the brake. You should take a field trip around to the back of the car and see if the brakes lights are on.

I can't see how your recent service could have included working inside the car, but it seems that your car thinks you have your foot on the brake, so it will not engage the Cruise. I also can't explain why the car would think you have taken your foot off of the brake just because you cycled the ignition off then back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts