BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 330ci. I took it to pass emissions and it failed. The reason why they failed it was because the engine light would not turn on. The emissions place said it was some how messed with, so the engine light was turned off or asleep? I tried to contact the seller of the car I purchased and he didnt want to say nothing of course, but I knew he knew the real answer.

To make a long story short I found a loop hole, and I registered my car at my brothers city, which does not do emissions. So I bought the sticker for 2 years, so I don't have to deal with this **** again.

I am new to the BMW scene! Does anyone know what this guy did? I found this is one of the threads, but NOOO information... defouler mod help me pass emissions?

MY 330ci has:
headers, intake, rouge exhaust, ecu tuning. the seller dynoed my car at 260 hp and 250 lbs of torque...

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
LOL the car has headers and no cats. So the CEL is supposed to go on because the post-catalytic converter 02 sensors are sensing the pollutants. Some people get tuners to reprogram the software so this code doesnt show up. All that matters is you got the car passed.

Still kinda shady on the past owner but at least you have every N/A bolt-on mod (except for cams).

edit: how does it sound with the headers and rogue dms? does it drone? is it too loud?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
^ +1. After headers, the next step for a lot of people is to get performance software. Active Autowerke is pretty popular. This puts in place something that they call an "O2 Bypass" where it essentially puts the CEL to sleep and you don't have to worry about an engine light for emissions related issues.

260 hp seems a little far-fetched for a 330Ci though - unless it's a ZHP, then maybe. Did he provide you with the dyno graph?

Oh, and congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Wait, so you knew your car had NO catalytic converters and you are surprised it didnt pass emissions? LOL Who the hell is going to clean up the CO2 if there aint nothing there?

You got a dyno graph to prove the 250ft/lbs, I'm not doubting the 260BHP as its nothing to be surprised for but have some doubts about the torque.

·
Registered
359 Posts
^ +1. After headers, the next step for a lot of people is to get performance software. Active Autowerke is pretty popular. This puts in place something that they call an "O2 Bypass" where it essentially puts the CEL to sleep and you don't have to worry about an engine light for emissions related issues.

260 hp seems a little far-fetched for a 330Ci though - unless it's a ZHP, then maybe. Did he provide you with the dyno graph?

Oh, and congrats on the purchase!
The car cant be a zhp. Zhp was only introduced on coupes from 2004+ model years for coupes and his car is a 2001. Also in for dyno graphs..250lbft sounds pretty amazing :hmm:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Reason for the bulb is he probably took it out of the gauge cluster. No cats though you will hit high Hc and Co emissions. Also I will through off your air fuel ratio without tuning.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the information... I thought the car had cats, or I am assuming it has cats... Excuse my lack of edcation, but what is a CEL? He had the dyno chart and he showed me, but I accidently left it at his house and after all this shady stuff with not passing emissions I could never get the dyno chart. My car is not ZHP. but I have had some other fast cars and it seems to me the numbers are close to accurate.
Keno- I like the way the car sounds, it has a drone to it,but it can get a little lound... it doesnt bother me tho

·
Registered
677 Posts
Most likely it'll be the headers that are triggering the CEL (Check Engine Light) and therefore not helping you pass emissions (stock headers have cats on them, aftermarket ones don't).
See if you can find good condition stock headers to install. I've heard they're a pain to DIY, though (Do It Yourself).

Anyone know what sort of power/torque boost AA headers have as opposed to eBay ones?
Do they allow you to pass emissions without any custom fabrication or anything?

-Located in WA.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
smart guy to remove the bulb if he did lol.. i was going to do that to my girls honda because of smog also ..it was just triggerd because of the door? wierd huh lol
but in your case.. no bueno!
Removing the bulb would be an automatic fail in a lot of states that do emission testing with an OBD scanner. The first thing the technician looks for when turning the key to the on position is that the SES/CEL illuminates. If he/she doesn't see the illumination it is an automatic fail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts