E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am a owner of a BMW 330Ci SMG/SSG Convertible, year 2003

After i got some problem with my previous gearbox i decided to change the transmission/gearbox

I bought a transmission that has 75.000 miles on it with pre-installed Shift Actuator, gear postion sensors and a brand new clutch position sensor (the black sensor on the slave cylinder)

After carefully replacement, i used INPA Software to bleed the clutch actuator/Slave Cylinder. All seems to be good.

After that i was calibrating the gear. In this process it is bleeding clutch actuator/slave Cylinder again and then shifting through all gears (sounds right) and after that, i have to start the engine and then it aborted the program? :eek:

Anyways..

When starting the car, it gives me a beep signal (like when you turn off the engine), but still looks fine and shows me N. So far so good

Then when i shift to 1 st., it won't drive, it is like N, but i can shift through 2 and 3 gear and drive but 4, 5 and 6 gear is not working (and gives me the CoG light at the dashboard)
Reverse gear is also working good.

So the gear: 1, 4, 5, 6 gear is not working and R, 2, 3 is working

Btw, i cannot go over 4.000 RPM at all when driving?

What cause the problem?

Could it be:
- air in the hydraulic system since i got the hydraulic moved from the old to the new gearbox?
- software/firmware for the new gearbox?

The pump is priming fine and the pressure is about 45 to 49 bar

Please i really hope you can help me! :bow:

Thanks

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
UPDATE:
I found out the CoG light.

It turns on when taking around 4.000 RPM, then the light came on and i can't drive more than 85 km/h. then I checked the failure with INPA software.

It gave me following:
51B1 Wheel speed rear axle

Error counter: 1
Logistic counter: 43

Mileage: 186.136 km
Battery Voltage: 13.49 Volt
Actual gear: 1 st gear 0-n
Nomial gear: 1 st gear 0-n
Rel. Clutch position: 0.00 0/oo
Engine speed: 4369.00 rpm

No signal or value
Test conditions fulfilled
Error present now and already stored
Error would cause a warning lamp to light up

Error code: 41 B1 E4 01 2B 5A E3 78 11 00 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

I did also tried manual bleed the clutch now, and the result is the same.

Only got R, 2, 3 gear

1, 4, 5, 6 gear is "missing"

It can show the 1 st. gear but not running, and 5, 6 gear is not showing or shifting into?

Some please help me.

I really want to get my car out running this summer, and I have spend money on a complete gearbox and new clutch position sensor for around 1300 USD

Attachments

· Registered
102 Posts
this is way over my paygrade, but i recently dealt with issues on my smg myself by replacing the pump as well as battery and alternator. also had gear position sensors replaced a year earlier by my indy. I did not use INPA to bleed the system - just topped off the reservoir and primed the pump about a dozen times. In my little experience with INPA in resetting adaptations, I did have to unplug the battery afterwards to get the engine to run smoothly. Don't know what that was about.

Isn't there a separate process to re-learn the clutch friction zone?

Are you sure the gear position sensors are functioning?

I would also check the hydraulic system for leaks. the clutch actuator is known to leak and i believe there's a rebuild kit for it.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is way over my paygrade, but i recently dealt with issues on my smg myself by replacing the pump as well as battery and alternator. also had gear position sensors replaced a year earlier by my indy. I did not use INPA to bleed the system - just topped off the reservoir and primed the pump about a dozen times. In my little experience with INPA in resetting adaptations, I did have to unplug the battery afterwards to get the engine to run smoothly. Don't know what that was about.

Isn't there a separate process to re-learn the clutch friction zone?

Are you sure the gear position sensors are functioning?

I would also check the hydraulic system for leaks. the clutch actuator is known to leak and i believe there's a rebuild kit for it.
Hi speavler

Thanks for your comment and knowledge

I have already tried disconnect the battery, and hold + / - together (car cable side) and i didn't do any diffrence

When doing the complete bleed process with INPA software, it will:
1. Bleed the Slave Cylinder / Actuator - Done
2. Calibrating all the gears (shiftning through all the gears also) - Done
3. Start the engine for learning the clutch biting point - Failing or stuck in process?

I did also check it for leak and as a precaution i did also send the slave cylinder / Actuator to my local store to get it checked/fixed

Could it be the "new" used gearbox that have some issues with the gears?

I can see with the INPA Software it also give me some values when shiftning gears, so i think the sensors should be okay on the new gearbox i mounted?

Hope you can help me figure out! :bow:

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you already find your problem?
Hi Largo,

I am not done yet, but i don't have so much time for this right now, since i got my house renovation project and IT business to take care of ;)

I find out that i could shift in all gear, but it was not all the time it would go in the 1st gear, but i then i could shift to N and back to 1st and then it would go into the gear - so in that case, the gearbox was all OK.

I think both the old and the new gearbox was working fine

But i did still get the CoG lamp on and when the CoG lamp came on it is going in some emergency program so that i couldn't drive more than 85 km/h

In about 2 month i have to make the car ready for the summer, so i have to find a solution for it now, and i think in some case it could be:
- Slave Cylinder (it is not the gear position sensor on the side of the Slave Cylinder - because a new one didn't solve it)
- New software to bleed the clutch etc. (the INPA gives me that failure)
- New firmware for the transmission box

Do you experience some of the same problem with your car, then please share it with me? :) Any advice would always be helpful

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:
I checked my Slave Cylinder again because of the gear issue.

I found out that it cause problem of gear shift etc. after i got it repaired from my locally dealershop. The o-ring was too big and cause it was really hard to press.

Then i contacted http://www.smgsociety.com/ and got a refubished slave cylinder from them. I guess these guys know what they are doing :)

After replacing i can shift gear, but i still had the CoG lamp on, and i hope this will be gone after bleeding and adapting the clutch

I will keep an update on this

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.