E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a November 2000 330ci which I think has never has had the power steering upgrade. The car was bought second hand one owner full service history and only 73000 ks.

Beyond the post March power steering pump is there anything else that needs to be changed to add some more feel to the overly light steering it has at the moment

Also the car has the 3:4 ratio radio head unit and I want to add a sat nav. It already has the six stacker in the boot. Any idea what bmw unit will work so I can scour eBay for the unit...

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
There were 2 power steering pumps: LUK 20 and LUK 30. Production started with the 20, went to the 30, then back to the 20.

You probably have (and need to confirm you have) the 30. This is the pump that's associated with light steering. The early 20s had an issue with the impeller breaking off the shaft internally.

If you want to change from one to the other, the only additional part you need is the high pressure hose ($$$).

If you are going to do that, I recommend that you change the other 2 hoses and reservoir at the same time.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
There were 2 power steering pumps: LUK 20 and LUK 30. Production started with the 20, went to the 30, then back to the 20.

You probably have (and need to confirm you have) the 30. This is the pump that's associated with light steering. The early 20s had an issue with the impeller breaking off the shaft internally.

If you want to change from one to the other, the only additional part you need is the high pressure hose ($$$).

If you are going to do that, I recommend that you change the other 2 hoses and reservoir at the same time.
There is more to it than that. Check this link, and read the second post from the bottom with the heading "What's up with the steering For cars produced between June and December 2000"
http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/faqs.php
There were different combinations of racks and pumps tried. There have also been reports that the monkey business with different racks and pumps was not strictly limited to those months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.