E46 Fanatics Forum banner

330ci or M3?

4K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  cak323i 
#1 ·
For some this may be a no brainer but for looking to get into my first BMW I am a little undecided. Just wanted everyone's opinion on here because I'm sure a lot of you have experience with these cars. I'm not talking appearance more so the car itself, I'm aware of the wider body and better performance etc. I've been told M3's are very expensive to fix is this so? Would an M series come with more maintenance than a regular BMW? I really want a 330ci but I'm afraid it won't be enough power for what I'm looking for, but I feel like an M3 is just too much car to get into for my first BMW. Let me know your opinions thanks.

#4 ·
Get the m3 if you can afford it and know how yo drive. If you don't meet those requirements just get the 330

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

#7 ·
Yes M3 will easily cost you 2-2.5 times more to maintain then non-M . People dont think about these things because most people dont maintain their cars but if you actually do the things that needed it'll be lot more expensive. Starting from tires and brakes, gas , insurance and finishing up with a cooling overhaul ($500 for non-M VS $2200 for M3) list goes on .

#24 ·
x2
More info needed. Do you work on your cars yourself or take in? What was your last car and what did you like/not like about it?

We can offer better advice about the car To the driver when we know more about the driver.

#12 · (Edited)
Research the following on both cars, and um, test drive them :idea:

Cost of the cars you see in your area
Quote from your insurance company
Research what interval maintance you need to do (valve adj every 15k in the M3)
Research what has been done on the car you plan on purchasing (coolant overhaul, brakes, tires, suspension components, etc...)

I was in a similar position 6 years ago. 2 year old 330Ci or a 4 year old M3. I went with the safer (IMO) and cheaper choice, and my car right now has cost me less than $1000 in maintanence for the last 5 years that the warranty was up.

#13 ·
OP, if you have money and a spare car for a DD then go for m3 else 330ci. I would not drive an ///M as my DD just because of the rawness it has.
I would rather get an auto e92 328i for a DD, and keep e46 M3 for canyon carving.

When you are buying a car you have to think about the purpose you are going to use it for. Just going outright for a powerful car and using it as a grocery getter will only disappoint you. M3 is not built to go over the speed bumps in Walmart parking lot and toyota camry is not made for canyon carving.

Just remember the maintenance and insurance for the m3 is going to be 3 times that you would be spending on the 330ci.
And it is hard to find a perfect M3 for cheap, most of them are abused or modded to the owners taste(you may not like it).
I know you are looking for a coupe, why not hardtop a z4 M? Would be nice to drop the top and cruise in FL.

Good luck with your search.

#16 ·
Just get the M. Or you will end up like me- who bought the 330,modified it with sways coil overs ,headers,intake,rims ect,only to take a huge loss in selling it and fianlly buying the car I really wanted. So if you are a "gear head" that always wrenches on your stuff and are never satisfied with stock just get the real thing.

#26 ·
you mean "a little pricey"

if you SC you must upgrade your shocks :rolleyes:

#22 ·
My experience with the 3 Series cars (two each, E36 and E46 but none of them M3s) is that the maintenance is not very difficult to do yourself if you have the skill set needed to work on any car, and the service needs are actually not all that high. ANY car that goes to the shop for service will set you back your first born male child, your right arm, and left nut because automobile service is expensive. If you worked on any other car that you owned, working on your BMW is not any different. The normal service, brakes, oil, those kinds of things are actually easier on a BMW than many others you will buy.

One thing to consider is the insurance costs. If you are a younger driver, you will discover that the insurance on the same model of two-door is more costly than on the four-door -- two cars are the same, except one is a coupe and the other is a sedan, the coupe will have higher insurance costs -- sometimes this is a significant number. The M3 will be more costly to insure than the other 3 Series cars. So, insurance costs (high to low) will be M3, Coupe, Sedan.

#23 ·
I can speak from experience as I own both.
The 330ci is more refined and provides a nicer ride for daily use. Actually has good power and is fun to drive.
Comparitively my M3 is louder/ harsher and overall more agressive ... my preference!
If your willing to DIY I wouldn't say there is siginificant difference in the cost of maintenance. If your on a budget and all maintenance/ issues will be done by a shop/ dealer, then definitely go with the 330. There are many resources available for DIYs. Had my 330 for 8 yrs and its only been in the shop for tires and alignments.
I also live in Bradenton/ Sarasota ... bit of advice, do not deal with BMW of Sarasota.

#38 ·
I can speak from experience as I own both.
The 330ci is more refined and provides a nicer ride for daily use. Actually has good power and is fun to drive.

Comparitively my M3 is louder/ harsher and overall more agressive ... my preference!

If your willing to DIY I wouldn't say there is siginificant difference in the cost of maintenance. If your on a budget and all maintenance/ issues will be done by a shop/ dealer, then definitely go with the 330. There are many resources available for DIYs...
+1 :thumbsup:

#27 ·
i'd say M3 if you plan on having the vehicle 6 years, 330 if not
when i was car shopping i was debating between 325 and 330 (this is my first BMW too), ended up not being able to find a 330 in my price range.
after being on BMW forums for 2.5 years now or so i really wish i just took the plunge and went M3 since i'll be owning this for approx 5 years
the 5 years would be more exciting in an M3... really based on your budget and what you plan to do with the car

#28 ·
I own two e46. An M3 and a 325xi, both manual transmission.

As a daily driver I would say choose the 330, especially a ZHP! The M3 is a great car but almost too raw and fierce for daily driver duty. It needs regular maintenane and has a bit of a temperament.

The 330 and 325 are very capable and well rounded cars. Most days I enjoy driving the 325 more than the M3. The 325 is just more comfortable (even on coilovers) and well mannered for every day use and the thing is bullet proof reliable. I have 140k miles on mine and I know others on here have much higher.

#29 ·
For the moment, I have both :thumbsup:. As others have pointed out, the 330Ci has better road manners in a lot of ways and is plenty of fun to drive. On the other hand, the M3 is an M3, with all the attendant pleasure (rawer, more aggressive, faster) and pain (maintenance expenses and, as someone rightly pointed out, it's kind of a ***** in parking lots with speed bumps--it just doesn't like to go slow or over bumps).

I'm loving the M3, but when I take the 330 out I realize I'll miss it when I sell it, because unfortunately I can't keep both.

If you happen to be located in the Northwest and decide to go with a 330, you could do worse than to look here.

(yes, that's a shameless plug for my car :shhh: )

#36 ·
I would go with the 330 ci as well, I have a 330 ci and I have driven a m3 for about a week and it is a bit pointless to spend all that money on petrol and maintenance, especially if you are stuck in traffic every day. I'm from Europe so I have an LPG system on mine and it is relatively cheap to drive and maintain. I have had my 330 ci for a about 2 years and I can say that I am so happy with it that I am looking for a newer e46 (face-lift) 330 ci and I wouldn't go to an m3 unless petrol prices drop drastically. If you want to have fun and keep your money in you pocket get an e30 (325i or drop in a 3.2) and get a 330 ci for a daily.

#37 ·
OP, listen to the guys with both of them. I only have an M3. Not gonna lie, I wish I had a 330 sedan to daily and I'll keep the M for better days. But my M is my daily and my 1967 Mini is my weekend car. If you sit in traffic all day then an auto 330 will be perfect. But this thread is pointless if you haven't driven both. Don't just get in the M3 and punch it because you will just fall in love and buy it. Drive it normal and see how you would like it as a daily, then punch it. The M's power is really nice for hopping on the freeway and the roar of the engine never gets old. It puts a smile on your face even when you had a bad day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.