E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some this may be a no brainer but for looking to get into my first BMW I am a little undecided. Just wanted everyone's opinion on here because I'm sure a lot of you have experience with these cars. I'm not talking appearance more so the car itself, I'm aware of the wider body and better performance etc. I've been told M3's are very expensive to fix is this so? Would an M series come with more maintenance than a regular BMW? I really want a 330ci but I'm afraid it won't be enough power for what I'm looking for, but I feel like an M3 is just too much car to get into for my first BMW. Let me know your opinions thanks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Get the m3 if you can afford it and know how yo drive. If you don't meet those requirements just get the 330

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Yes M3 will easily cost you 2-2.5 times more to maintain then non-M . People dont think about these things because most people dont maintain their cars but if you actually do the things that needed it'll be lot more expensive. Starting from tires and brakes, gas , insurance and finishing up with a cooling overhaul ($500 for non-M VS $2200 for M3) list goes on .

·
Registered
13,792 Posts
Research the following on both cars, and um, test drive them :idea:

Cost of the cars you see in your area
Quote from your insurance company
Research what interval maintance you need to do (valve adj every 15k in the M3)
Research what has been done on the car you plan on purchasing (coolant overhaul, brakes, tires, suspension components, etc...)

I was in a similar position 6 years ago. 2 year old 330Ci or a 4 year old M3. I went with the safer (IMO) and cheaper choice, and my car right now has cost me less than $1000 in maintanence for the last 5 years that the warranty was up.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
OP, if you have money and a spare car for a DD then go for m3 else 330ci. I would not drive an ///M as my DD just because of the rawness it has.
I would rather get an auto e92 328i for a DD, and keep e46 M3 for canyon carving.

When you are buying a car you have to think about the purpose you are going to use it for. Just going outright for a powerful car and using it as a grocery getter will only disappoint you. M3 is not built to go over the speed bumps in Walmart parking lot and toyota camry is not made for canyon carving.

Just remember the maintenance and insurance for the m3 is going to be 3 times that you would be spending on the 330ci.
And it is hard to find a perfect M3 for cheap, most of them are abused or modded to the owners taste(you may not like it).
I know you are looking for a coupe, why not hardtop a z4 M? Would be nice to drop the top and cruise in FL.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just get the M. Or you will end up like me- who bought the 330,modified it with sways coil overs ,headers,intake,rims ect,only to take a huge loss in selling it and fianlly buying the car I really wanted. So if you are a "gear head" that always wrenches on your stuff and are never satisfied with stock just get the real thing.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
, and my car right now has cost me less than $1000 in maintanence for the last 5 years that the warranty was up.
Come on , really? Either you're overlooking something or simply dont want to tell the truth .

1000 bucks is a set of tires.... so your saying in 5 years you only bought one set of tires and nothing else ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was in a similar position 6 years ago. 2 year old 330Ci or a 4 year old M3. I went with the safer (IMO) and cheaper choice, and my car right now has cost me less than $1000 in maintanence for the last 5 years that the warranty was up.
I agree with this guy. You can buy a car, and initial maintenance will run you if that and you won't have to worry for awhile. i haven't reach $1,000 for initial maintenance and don't feel i will have to do much more. So make sure the car has a good set of tires and brakes! And I really enjoy my 330Ci. I couldn't ask for me for a DD.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.