BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 330ci and when i switch the aircon on i can here a whining noise from inside the car, It gets louder as i rev the engine but when i checked under the hood i could not here any noise from the compressor or any other part of the aircon :hmm:

The aircon is working as i am getting cold air through the vents but would really need to measure the temp to make sure that it was correct.
Has anyone had this problem or can someone that works on aircon help me

Cheers

·
Registered
322 Posts
Two possibilities, you may be hearing whining from the belts/AC clutch, or you may be hearing the aux cooling fan, which kicks on when the AC is on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Ted13B thanks for the reply, It sounds more like its comming from the compressor clutch because when i press the aircon button to on I get this whining noise and as soon as i switch it off the noise stops.

If it was the belts would the noise not be there all the time?.
I cant see it being the electrical AC Aux fan as the noise increases along with the engines RPM and an electrical fan will just not do this.

Anyone know if you can replace the AC clutch assembly on our cars or will it requirea new compressor and recharge of refrigerent.

cheers

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can help with your problem. I think I've had the same problem with my 2000 328Ci on two occasions.

I described it as a sort of "howling" noise coming from the center of my dash, only when the air conditioning is on and yes, when I jabbed the gas pedal while driving I could make the noise happen in a very predictable way.

In my case, I had to take a BMW tech for a drive around the block to explain the noise to them.

Both times I had them measure the amount of R-134a refrigerant (freon replacement) in the A/C system. Both times it was low.

When they topped it up the noise went away.

In my case I am predicting that in two years this will happen again. When it does, I'm going to go to Wal-Mart and buy a can of refrigerant and one of those hose applicator thingies and dump a can into my A/C system myself, saving me the just under $200 dealer cost.

I should also tell you that the last time I took the car into the dealer for this issue they told me I needed a new A/C compressor for thousands and thousands of dollars.

Did I mention my local BMW service guys are morons?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I came across a BMW notice saying that engine vibration could be heard inside the car was due to noise traveling up one of the aircon pipes, BMW recommended that a replacement pipe be fitted. :)

heres what they say.

Humming, droning noises when air-conditioning system is switched on.
E46 M47/TU, M52, M56, M57, M40, N42 engines

Complaint:
1. E46 with M47/TU:
Humming or droning noises in the engine speed range 2500 - 3200 rpm with a peak at 2900 RPM
when driving steadily or under load.

2. E46 with M52, M54, M56:
Humming or droning noises in engine speed range 2000 - 4000 rpm. In addition or at very low engine speeds - howling noises (similar to timing chain) may also occur.

3. E46 with M57:
Humming or droning noises in the engine speed range 2000 - 3500 rpm when driving steadily or under load.

4. E46 with N40, N42:
Humming or droning noises at all engine speeds.

The vibrations of the engine are transmitted into the vehicle interior through the intake pipe of the air conditioning compressor.

E46 with air-conditioning system (option 530) or automatic air-conditioning system (option 534) and the following engine versions:

1. E46 with M47/TU (only 320d)
Manufacturing period: September 2001 until 9 April 2002

2. E46 with M52, M54
Manufacturing period: start of series production until January 2001

3. E46 with M54, M56
Manufacturing period: January 2001 until 25 September 2002

4. E46 with M57
Manufacturing perod: September 2001 until 14 April 2002

5. E46 with N40, N42
Manufacturing period: from March 2001

In case of customer complaint, replace the "intake pipe from the evaporator to the air-conditoner compressor". New intake pipes are fitted with vibration damper weight. On vehicles with M54, M56 and M42 a "muffler", a small expansion tank, is fitted on the compressor side of the intake pipe.

1. Drain air-conditioning system.
Please refer to repair instructions 64 50 009

2. Replace the intake pipe from the evaporator to the air-conditioner compressor.

3 Evacuate the air-conditoning system and refill.
Please refer to repair instructions 64 50 009.

Comply with instructions for replacing the drier bottle 64 53 ??

IMPORTANT!
In such cases, exchanging the air-conditoner compressor or expansion valve will not remedy the situation.

M47/TU intake pipe
64 53 6 923 958

M52, M54 intake pipe
64 53 6 933 368 (until January 2001)

M54, M56 intake pipe
64 53 6 923 956 (from January 2001)

M57 intake pipe
64 536923 957

N40, N42 intake pipe
64 53 6 930 364

REIMBURSEMENT:
material and labour costs incurred can be claimed through the usual warranty channels subject to current warranty terms.

DEFECT CODE: 64 53 91 39 00
This defect code is not contained in the official defect code catalogue but has been included in the system, thus enabling warranty claims to be processed.

within the scope of visits to the workshop- replace air-conditoning intake pipe.

Reimbursement is limited to 36 months/100,000Km and only possible until September 2005

This to me looks as though BMW knew of this and did not do a recall on the models affected but instead hoped that they would fixed as and when each one came in for a service.
My car has a full BMW history so why am i and others having this type of problem?
Going to BMW tomorrow to see if this work is in there records, as i would like to find out why and what they are going to do about it.
Do a bit of moaning see if i can get it done as a goodwill job after all it should have been done by now anyhow. :argue:

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Great research e.barr!

In my case, e46 + m52 the noise went away with a topping up of refrigerant. You still may want to try that very inexpensive potential fix first.

But I'll be keeping a copy of your post in my car file.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i found out that I have this problem. Anyone know how much I should expect to pay to have the hose replaced? The one that goes from compressor to evaporator???? I got quoted 300 bux for labor to do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kind of a quiet thread but I'm now hearing this issue @120k miles.
I will attempt the refrigerant addition fix first and see what I get... if I don't respond to the thread then that did the trick.

Otherwise I'll try to follow up with a tutorial as I replace the intake pipe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too

I have this problem and my OCD wants my local independent to fix it. However, they're struggling to resolve it for me. A top up resolves the issue for only a short time, maybe a couple of weeks. Has anyone had this fixed 100%?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks @e.barr it worked for me. My car has m54b22 engine manufactured on 2002. I changed the ac compressor intake pipe and the noise is gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts