BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
New pre-painted Front Fenders!

I have ordered and received both left and right Front Fenders from a german ebay seller.
The fenders are pre painted in the original Black Sapphire color and were 118.50 Euro each, this is an unbeatable price.
The fitment and color-match were surprisingly good, I would say about 95% perfect.

After disassembling the old fenders you can clearly see a spot behind the front wheels which gets filled with wet dirt during the years, seems to be a constructional flaw as I saw this on my 330xi Touring as well when I changed the fenders.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think the reason why those rust:

There is sand/dirt/salt between plastic inner wing / sheetmetal wing.
After time this sand rubs paintwork and then rust starts.

I took my inner wings off from my coupe and those were immaculate and perfect. :)
I think it depends lot how much you drive in winter / + gravel roads.
Worth to open and clean once per year..
Good work there. Really cheap wings i have to say, i paid 270euros only for genuine wing without painting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Expansion Tank

I changed the Expansion Tank today, the old one did not had any leaks but the production date shows that it's still the first one from 2001.

Gives me a more relaxed feeling driving on hot summer days...

@Antti
Yes, that's exactly the reason almost all e46 front fenders get rusty sooner or later at this spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Back to Black

Recolored the rear shelf and some other faded out plastic parts:

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Scratch removal and Polish

I removed most of the scratches with 2000,2500,3000 grit sandingpaper and polishing it after that.

The rear bumper which I have painted with spraypaint before got sanded and polished as well, now it has a factory-like smooth surface again!

I am very happy with the results, I didn't think I this scratch removal method would work so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Gebläseenstufe

The heating/cooling system didn't work anymore as it should and the vent was going crazy without regulation, I had to replace this part which I don't know the english word for.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Recolored the rear shelf and some other faded out plastic parts:
trying to remove my parcel shelf at the moment, i dont have the pop out plastic clips holding the long section in, what was yours like, and can you do a how to on the seat belt removal please

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The heating/cooling system didn't work anymore as it should and the vent was going crazy without regulation, I had to replace this part which I don't know the english word for.
It is FSR, Final stage resistor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
trying to remove my parcel shelf at the moment, i dont have the pop out plastic clips holding the long section in, what was yours like, and can you do a how to on the seat belt removal please
Sorry for my late reply, but for the parcel-shelf removal:

- Remove the C-pillars, remove the screw behind the lights first, the rest is clipped
- remove the speakers, the covers are clipped
- you dont have to remove the rear-seatbelts, only the covers
- remove the clips on the front end front the shelf, turn down the rearrseats first, I had to destroy them to remove, have new clips ready.

Already did the job ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
nice! some proper maintenance for a slick E46

41 - 50 of 50 Posts