BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW 330ci
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on these forums so if by chance I didn't do something right, just let me know so I can post correctly in the future. Anyways, I recently (somewhat) upgraded myself from a 2000 BMW 323i to a manual 2002 330ci. Back when I used to drive the 323i, I had installed a set of Zevo LED bulbs that I purchased from auto parts stores and Walmart to replace my stock interior lights. They worked perfectly, however, I tried doing the same on my 330ci, and all of the bulbs worked fine until I got to the footwell. After I put the last bulb in, all of the interior lights shut off and wouldn't come back on. I now know I need a resistor installed, but to be honest I do not want to install one. From my experience, they heat up very fast and get VERY hot, and I do not want something like this inside of my car, especially around the plastic dash pieces. So is there any way I can install the lights without needing any type of resistor, so I can use the Zevo bulbs I have? And why did the 323i lights work perfectly without the need for a resistor? I'd appreciate if someone could let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
2002 BMW 330ci
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay, so I know this is an old post from a while ago, and I doubt anyone really cares at this point, but I found out the issue for this problem from my understanding is due to the fact that BMW changed the Interior Body Control Module software after the 2001 model year for the future addition of newer technologies (such as LED taillights and infotainment screens). Because of this, the only way to get all of the LED's in my '02 330ci to work properly without the need for a resistor is to code the vehicle using a program such as NCS Expert to deactivate the 'interior lights on error' function. This is the reason why the interior LED's all work in my '00 323i, but not for my '02 model year. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone else ever has that issue.

·
Registered
12/01 build 330ci 5-speed convertible, 127K
2 Posts
I have the same car, same issue. Did you end up coding to fix using NCS Expert?

I'm trying to find out with 100% certainty that this can be done in NCS Expert, and what the name of the code field is. I don't see it in the master list of possibilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts