E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Almost stock
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on the advice of a few member of this board, I decided to disable that little flap that is present on 330's. (the one that closes in lower rpms and opens on higher rpms) You know what? The car seems more responsive! Its also abit louder, but I like it, sounds sporty! So my question is this: Does this really make a difference? or is it just all in my mind?

·
Registered
84 Posts
How to disable the flap

WAIT TILL THE CAR COOLS!

If you get under the car where the muffler is, you will see a solenoid with a rubber tube attached to it. Pull off the rubber tube. Then all you have to do it cap the end of the tube, and attach the tube to the inside of the rear bumper (that is what I did).

That is all you have to do

Pull off rubber tube
Cap the tube off
Mount the tube somewhere so its not hanging loose

Your done!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I apologise, but I still can't seem to understand how this works.
Before the muffler there is a tube, and u detach it then put a screw somewhere and twist-tie something?!?!
Sorry, can someone give more detailed instructions, this sounds like a great lil mod....

Thanks again!

·
Almost stock
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: where is this tube? am i blind?

chopstik said:
also, is it easy to enable the flap again after disabling????
this sounds so easy...
yes, very easy to enable the flap again after disabling. Just remove the screw and plug the rubber tube back into the exhaust.

·
Almost stock
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
silver330ci said:
I apologise, but I still can't seem to understand how this works.
Before the muffler there is a tube, and u detach it then put a screw somewhere and twist-tie something?!?!
Sorry, can someone give more detailed instructions, this sounds like a great lil mod....

Thanks again!
It really isn't that hard. Just pull the rubber tube off the exhaust, and plug up the rubber tube with a screw. Then twist tie the tube to somthing so that it doesn't flap around. Just take a look, its not that hard.

·
Almost stock
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
silver330ci said:
What type of screw?
Does anyone know if this serves any performance function, such as to increase backpressure when you first apply pressure to the gas pedal?
A screw that will fit nice and snug into the tube. From what I hear, the main function of the flap is to reduce noise, because in germany their laws on exhaust db levels are much more strict than the us.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Silver...

Its a rubber tube so it is not carrying exhaust.

Typically solenoids like this are actuated by vacuum tapped off some where on the engine. Lower vacuum signal probably allows the door to open under hard acceleration, that is if it is plummed to the intake tract.

If you hooked up a vacuum guage to the intake you would see high vacuum at idle and lowest when going to WOT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.