E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my 330Ci started having a slight stumble while at cruise. When accellerating, it was fine. Then, all at once the EML, DSC, and brake light all came on (all yellow). I took it to the shop, where they diagnosed a stuck engine idle valve. This was replaced and the car has been fine since.

However, yesterday, all three lights came on again (all at once). This time, the car has no power, studders severly at idle, and is undrivable.

Any ideas? I am waiting on a tow-truck to come get it and take it down to Classic BMW.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
It may or may not be related but I was having similar issues because my MAF was not working correctly. Car would actually start then stall when idling.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,524 Posts
sounds like a compression issue, it probably is something w/ the vavles, not closing properly or something...if you didnt do anything to your car (over-rev or somethin) you shouldnt worry, it should be warranty, if you did do something (but it sounds like you didnt) then you better go cash in those pennies cuz you could be looking at a bill in the thousands...:sad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't over-rev. I have hit the limiter before while accellerating, but not this time. Was cruising on the highway at 60 mph in 5th gear.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Don't worry about it. This happened to me at about the same mileage (probably coincidence). Called BMW Roadside Assistance they towed me to the nearest dealer. Turns out it was the Throttle Position Controller. Part was replaced under warranty, had my car back the same day. They gave me a loaner for the four hours that they worked on my car. I have not had any issues since. I'm now at just under 6000.

·
Registered
297 Posts
uhm... do this for me tonight.

Hold your DSC button for 10 seconds, does that repeat the light issue?

If you hold DSC button for > 10 seconds, the DSC, annd Handbrake light turn on and stay on (yellow). This just means you've just completely deactivated all stability\traction systems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car is at the shop. I didn't deactivate it. I know how to do that. The DSC, brake, EML, and check engine light all came on at the same time. I was cruising at 60mph.

If it was just the stability/traction system, the EML (engine management control) and the check engine light would not have lit. Plus, the car would still drive. My engine has ZERO power. I had to back it out of the driveway so the tow-truck could get it. Couldn't get it moving.

I hope it is just the throttle position sensor. Last week they replaced an idle control valve.

Tom

330Pilot said:
uhm... do this for me tonight.

Hold your DSC button for 10 seconds, does that repeat the light issue?

If you hold DSC button for > 10 seconds, the DSC, annd Handbrake light turn on and stay on (yellow). This just means you've just completely deactivated all stability\traction systems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
330ci dead

my M5 had the same problem i took it in and they gave me a new fuel pump and it owuld still stutter and they put a new sensor in and its beebn flying ever since, its perfect n0ow, you probavbly need a new sensor. do you drive it hard?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, not really. Every now and then I get on the accelleration, but not very often. Mostly just around town; back and forth to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts