1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to you all from the UK

I need some help from you guys please.

My car - BMW E46 convertible UK RHD facelift Jan 2004 330ci automatic

Since jump starting due to a dead car battery my remote central locking no longer works from key fob. Car does not respond to remote key at all.

Things checked so far are:

1. Key fob transmitting signal OK (confirmed by dealer)
2. Key fob cannot be programmed (using key in ignition whilst holding open button, turn key to position 1 etc)
3. Central locking works fine with key in drivers door (open and lock)
4. Central locking works fine using internal console button
5. *No fault codes
6. No fault codes in cluster
7. Car battery replaced with new battery
8. Instrument reset / check via ODB hidden service menu works fine
9. Fuses changed / tested (10, 34, 43)
10. Car starts / drives no problems.
11. Folding roof is OK
12 I have no other symptoms other than remote key not working

2nd issue:

*Since a visit to BMW dealer who conducted a quick check (fuses, tried to programme key fob etc) my ODB connector does not connect using DISv5.7 or INPA on my laptop. I get an error:

The diagnosis connection is not OK!
No voltage is applied at terminal 15 or U-batt is less than 9 Volt.
Automatic vehicle indentification is terminated!

I think my car battery is fine as the hidden settings menu in cluster registers the battery at 12.6v or around 14v with engine running.

Not sure if the above communication error is related to my remote key fob situation as it had worked previously with no issues. However, the only thing I can think of is that I may have damaged the OBD USB cable somehow?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated

Thank you

Lee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the only problem is the locking/unlocking function of the key fob?
Try your other key fob.
Follow the synch procedure here: BMWGM5.com Key Recode Instuctions

For the OBD issue, try another cable/scanner.
Thanks BaliDawg for the suggestion. Both I and the dealer have tried but failed to programme the key fob.

I'm wondering if the GM5 module itself may be the problem as faults relating to central locking (and other issues) seem to point at that as possible route cause.

Great suggestion regarding trying another cable, I'll pop down to my local independant BMW garage tomorrow morning to ask if they can test connecting to my car with their scanning equipment to possibly rule in/out my cable

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,501 Posts
Thanks BaliDawg for the suggestion. Both I and the dealer have tried but failed to programme the key fob.

I'm wondering if the GM5 module itself may be the problem as faults relating to central locking (and other issues) seem to point at that as possible route cause.

Great suggestion regarding trying another cable, I'll pop down to my local independant BMW garage tomorrow morning to ask if they can test connecting to my car with their scanning equipment to possibly rule in/out my cable
GM5 is working fine. It’s probably a damaged key. Buy a new one, you should have two anyway.

Get a wireless OBD adapter and the OBD Fusion app. You will need it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
GM5 is working fine. It’s probably a damaged key. Buy a new one, you should have two anyway.

Get a wireless OBD adapter and the OBD Fusion app. You will need it.
Both dealer and I have tried to programme both key fobs with no luck

Funnily enough I have an ELM327 bluetooth adapter which I can connect to car no problems but the free app I downloaded didn't report any faults/errors when it scanned. I always thought the DIS or INPA provide much options / reporting functionality to which I prefer so keen to get that sorted again soon.

Note: Something i've noticed though using the ELM module the app or ScanMaster doesn't show the VIN / car details almost like it tried to read them but couldn't or car didn't respond properly

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,501 Posts
Any standard OBD scanner like the ELM327 and ScanMaster can only access the DME (engine control module) and EGS (transmission control module). They cannot access all the other control modules, such as GM5, like the BMW-specific tools can. It’s why you really need both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts