BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 330ci vert 5sp with 130,000 miles and I assume the original clutch, and sometimes when I engage the clutch and accelerate shortly after, it will rev and and barely move. This only happens when I hit the gas hard after taking foot off clutch, both from a standstill and changing gears. Sometimes iI smell what I assume burning clutch smells like. This is my first manual car btw, but i've driven a manual before.

No, I an not hitting the gas with clutch partially engaged, I have tested it by dropping clutch compelely, then immediately hitting the gas, and it slips. When I let off the gas, the clutch will grab, and from that point there is no slippage.
What I find wierd is that it never slips after being in gear, only right after the clutch is engaged, and only with hard accelleration.

I've been read about the CDV( Clutch Delay Valve) that I think I have (Although i've heard conflicting reports about 2001's having it), and it seems like that could be the problem. Maybe since the clutch delay valve is feathering the clutch after it is dropped, then it is not fully engaged when I accelerate.

Thiis never happens during normal casual driving, but it is very annoying when I put my foot down. And is probably destroying my clutch. lol

Has anyone experienced this, and is due to the CDV, Worn clutch(130k miles), normal, or something else?

·
Registered
624 Posts
The CDV can be causing this.. These clutches generally go around 100-150k miles depending on driving style.. So that might be it as well. The way to check if your clutch is slipping is to put it in fifth and mash the throttle. If it revs without accelerating, your clutch is slipping.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've tried that, no slippage whatsoever once the clutch "catches". I'll remove the CDV once i get some ramps and a pressure bleeder thingy. Nice choice of color btw, Titansilber FTW

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I found that the OEM clutch overheats rather easily. Once it starts to slip under high throttle conditions, it's just not gonna stop until you let entirely off the gas even with your foot totally off the clutch pedal. It'll then feel kind of soft for a while after that. I first discovered that several years ago when my 330i had about 120,000 miles on it. The best way to launch my old Camaro hard involved clutch slip. Not excessive slip, but hard throttle while the clutch was still slipping. The E46 simply doesn't like that. My clutch was definitely not on the way out at 120,000 miles either. I finally replaced it about 100,000 miles after I first discovered that tendency. (Was replaced for noisy throwout bearing, the clutch actually still grabbed great) It really needs the clutch fully engaged before you give it full throttle. If you have a CDV that'll make that a little more ambiguous...

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
The CDV will not cause this, unless what you are describing is exaggerating. It is time for a new clutch. Doesn't matter what you do to try to prevent this slipping from occurring, but you need a new clutch very soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tangent that sounds just like what I'm experiencing... I did notice that after it happened once in a drive it seemed to feel softer, and once it slips at all, it doesnt catch until you let off the throttle. I'll still remove the CDV because i'm sure it exaggerates the problem.

And when it comes time to replace clutch/maybe flywheel, should i get oem dual-mass/self-adjusting, or does anyone know a good aftermarket single mass/normal clutch for relatively cheap?

BartenderPlease: If I hit the gas hard (to the floor) immediately after dropping clutch, it will rev to redline if I let it without moving. It will only happen a fraction of a second after dropping clutch, if i wait .5-1 second to floor it, all is well. So it seems that this only really happens in the time period when the CDV delays the clutch from fully engaging

·
Registered
931 Posts
If your clutch slips when you hit the gas like that, clutch is probably going. Try the old slop test. Start the car, put it in 4th, lift the clutch and try to move off while giving it gas. The car should stall. If it doesn't, new clutch. If it does, try the same in 5th.

There is a guy somewhere not be board selling a new Sachs clutch kit.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Hate to tell you, but the clutch is about gone. Look at the big picture here. You can redline the car in gear without it moving.

BMW didn't design these cars and the CDVs to have the clutch to slip that much. You can do all these tests to see if the clutch is slipping, but it should not be doing what it is doing, CDV or no CDV. Remove the CDV anyways, but I wouldn't be surprised if it made it worse. CDV delays the hydraulic fluid, if you drive it spirited without the CDV it will send the fluid through much more "abruptly" and it will engage the clutch harder. It is already a going clutch, so the last thing it needs is a hard engagement.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a new dual mass flywheel and new clutch for sale. Both OEM spec. Hope you figure it out. Good luck

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had good luck with the Valeo single mass conversion kit. Installed it over the winter in my vert. Feels great and doesn't make the car any harder to drive.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have had good luck with the Valeo single mass conversion kit. Installed it over the winter in my vert. Feels great and doesn't make the car any harder to drive.
Is it crisper?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Same here. Once it was good and broken in I launched hard using the clutch slip to keep revs up without wheelspin to see how it would handle it. Flawless. Once I let completely off the clutch pedal it grabbed hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts