E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I am not attempting to get into the detail of purported ZHP rack's existence or other in this thread, just reporting on the install)

After doing all my research, I believe I was able to isolate the mysterious ZHP rack part number - and then able to obtain a rack.

The swap into my 325 was a piece of cake. I also installed a new resevoir and all new PS lines - not necessary, but part of my complete suspension/steering overhaul.

Once finished, the DSC light did NOT come on, nor were there any problems with binding. So, success.

The quicker ratio steering over the 325 stock rack is immediately noticeable.
This was a simple and relatively cheap mod.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nice! My rack recently started making noise, like grit was in between the gears at low speeds... I will definately look into this swap when the time comes! Thanks for the post

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
oooo!I got it now!
And one more,What do you mean by ZHP?? ->330Mpack??
yup its the top of line e46 that only came as a facelift. right under the m3. has upgraded, interior, wheels, cams, and a different exhaust,

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Maybe this clubsport then?I am confused..
I think here the 330 profacelift was Mpack..
ZHP is simply an option code used in the US and a code that fanatics use to describe it's proper name which is "Performance Package" . BMW puts packages together for different countries like Clubsport (for the UK) and gives them option codes so dealers can order them easily. (in the US, competition package is ZCP, sport package is ZSP)

basically what they are interpreted as at the factory, is the individual parts (upgrades) that should be installed on the E46 chassis as it rolls down the assembly line. That is it.

·
Registered
12,432 Posts
Maybe this clubsport then?I am confused..
I think here the 330 profacelift was Mpack..
The 330zhp and 330 "M" are different.. the M package is a European option and is only visual things (Mtech kit, steering wheel, seats, sometimes door sills, lower suspension, etc.)

In the US, the 330zhp cars came with upgraded cams, different software, slightly better muffler, beefy sway bars, tighter steering ratio. Also, alcantara seats were never offered in the US except for ZHPs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Xmm..Now i've mastered it.Thanks guys!
The only thing now is to pm me the code of the part so i could search for it,and test fit it to my car,then you'll be GODS!! :D

P.S.
^ i really love your car!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is ZHP Rack different from 330's with sport package?
indeed, this is the magic question... it appears all 330s ('01 up) have the same steering ratio; however, through my research, I have come to discover the ZHPs carry a unique rack. Now, I have not surveyed thousands of cars, but have found the same exact ZF manufacturer's tag on all ZHP cars, while the standard 330s have a different tag. So, in MY opinion, it appears there is something unique about this rack. What it is, I don't know. And there are very hard to locate, which tells me there was limited production.

I wrote another post on this...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=806967&highlight=zhp+rack

·
Registered
285 Posts
indeed, this is the magic question... it appears all 330s ('01 up) have the same steering ratio; however, through my research, I have come to discover the ZHPs carry a unique rack. Now, I have not surveyed thousands of cars, but have found the same exact ZF manufacturer's tag on all ZHP cars, while the standard 330s have a different tag. So, in MY opinion, it appears there is something unique about this rack. What it is, I don't know. And there are very hard to locate, which tells me there was limited production.

Ratio:thumbsup:

·
Registered
422 Posts

I just read that in my head with a light whisper :shhh: as if I was reading a ghost story to myself. you sr. should write a book! :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts