E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Estimated Time: 1 Hour 20 Mins
Tools: TORX T10 & T15
Supplies Needed:

1. Elmer's White Glue
2. Trash Bag Twist Ties

Start out by unscrewing the 2 screws that hold the display in. They are located on the top edge and use a TORX T15 screw.

Now pull the display out and twist it to the side so you can clearly see and reach the 2 cables in the back. These plugs are held in by little levers ( White & gray ) and work by swinging the lever off witch pushes the plug out. You need to push down the part of the clip that holds them in place and at the same time, swing the lever off the plug to release it. Do the first one, then you can move the display a little more to get to the second.

There should be 4 screws that hold the back plastic part on. Use a TORX T10 and remember where they go. Pull the back part and the electronics out and place them aside.

On the front side of the display, Pull out on the buttons to remove them.

Now your ready to glue the rings. I placed a napkin on the inside of the clear plastic so I wouldn’t drop glue on it. Then very lightly I placed small drops of glue on the inside of each ring and placed them inside the display. Make sure you cover all the sides and be very careful not to get glue all over the place.

I strongly recommend using Elmer’s White Glue because it dries clear and can easily be cleaned if you mess up.

The rings won’t just sit in there and dry. You need to apply pressure to get them to fit right. I used trash bad twist ties and tied the rings to the cluster housing. This worked very well but you need to make sure to place enough of them to fully apply presser on all sides.

After about an hour the glue should be dry. Now take the buttons you took off from the front side and line them up on the cluster. They have three little prongs on them that make the connections. Make sure the prong that’s by its self faces down and is under the gauge overlays. Double check to see if they feel like they work the way they should before you put everything back together. Now’s the time to clean the inside of the cluster to make sure no finger prints or glue are on the plastic.

Place the electronics and the back part on. Screw it back together and put the front buttons on. Then the plugs on the back should just push right in.

That’s It.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure if you guys can see the images. I am having some problems viewing them my self. I have no where else to upload them in less someone wants to host the images for me.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
5,457 Posts
Great Write up! this should belong in the DIY Section !!!

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,504 Posts
good man :thumbup: looks hot :D

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,172 Posts
I love DIY, very good pics and write up. Do you need to disconnect the battery so no error light will come on when taking out the dash gauge?

·
Evil McGriebel
87 Posts
I wonder if elmers is the best glue for this application. It it mainly for porous materials and may not hold up. I am planning to use Goop household adheasive. It will also dry clear and will hold better in plastic. Otherwise a great DIY!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Great DIY! Thanks- Once our group buy of Canadian Rings arrive- we are getting a bunch of fanatics together to do this install!

BTW_ TimeFor Your sig is too cool- Guys- check it out- it's a real working radio!:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
When i did mine, I didn't disconnect my battery! And I used Krazy glue, worked great! The weird thing, my auto leveling Bi-Xexon now are leveling everytime I turn on the lights. After I did my DAE install, they were only doing it about half the time! Pretty crazy! btw.. Nice DIY!

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,081 Posts
Very good write up, too bad I installed mine last night. Took me a little while cause I kept messing up those pronged buttons and I kept noticing some finger prints on the inside so that was annoying. I also got a little super glue on the inside of the glass so that took me a while to get out. But it looks kick ass now!

Lol the funny part was I came home, and was just plugging the display in and my mom was like YOU HAD TO TAKE THE GAUGES OUT!!! Hahaha, I was like "yep but that was all I had to do". But I was thinking, "You shoulda seen it 15 minutes ago, it was in a million pieces...lol!":thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
thxguy said:

BTW_ TimeFor Your sig is too cool- Guys- check it out- it's a real working radio!:thumbup: :thumbup:
That sig of yours is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone, check it out! It would also be cool if you had it in Navi style cause Im used to that.

·
Registered
686 Posts
timexp99 said:
When i did mine, I didn't disconnect my battery! And I used Krazy glue, worked great! The weird thing, my auto leveling Bi-Xexon now are leveling everytime I turn on the lights. After I did my DAE install, they were only doing it about half the time! Pretty crazy! btw.. Nice DIY!
Your auto leveling will work everytime only when the key is in the 1st position.. Thats the only reason they will work everytime...

I found this out while installing DDE on my car. If the car is running or the key in the number 2 position they only work when needed....

John V

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1. yes Gen 2 have shipped.
2. You don't need to unplug the battery. And I think if you do you might have to reset the radio code.
3. Elmer’s Glue will hold just fine. Problem with super glue is that if you mess-up, or get it on the plastic its almost imposable to clean.

Thanks for the complements on my sig and DIY.

·
Unregistered User
427 Posts
timefor: always thought your sig was just a picture.. cool stuff, man! :thumbup:

·
Unregistered User
427 Posts
TimeFor said:
MY WEB SITE AS EXECCED IT MAXIAM BANDWIDTH!!! MY SIG IS NOT WORKING NOW!!!! AHHHHH
hahaha, gotta love geocities/yahoo??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts