BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined and this is my first post. I searched for a while before asking though.

I have a 2004 325i wagon and would like more power but a 330i wagon didn't come over here, oh-well. For information the car has a custom 2.25" dual exhaust with headers, cats, x-pipe and 2 magnaflow muffflers, It sounds great, seems better on butt-dyno.

My question: Eventually I am going to get a TS2 but right now I was going to try to improve the intake. I understand the M54B30 & M54B25 intake runners are the same just the airbox to throtle body intake tract is different and injectors of course.

I understand that the 325 with M56 and some late M54B25 have a 3.5" MAF versus the 3" MAF.

Here is the idea: Get a 330/ 325 M56 3.5" MAF and swap it for my 3" MAF. Anyone done this? Does it do anything?

I talked to ESS and they suggested against using a 330 Throttle Body or a CAI on a 325 Twin Screw system, so I don't want to buy anything that I would need to remove for the TS install.

My thought was to get the Dinan stock airbox improver kit. I would need to get a 330 model not the 325 since 3.5" MAF. But is the bottom half of the airbox the same between the 325 and 330 or would I need to get a new bottom too? Is the scoop behind the twin kidney grill the same on the 325 and 330?

Thanks, sorry for the long winded post.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
There was a discussion of that in this thread, not for power, but for using a 330 intake box on a 325:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=805860&highlight=330+intake

I don't think you would get much power.

Dinan makes a larger throttle body that might add a few hp.

There are a few who have put a 330 intake manifold on a 325. It is rather complex and at least one who did it did not think it was worth the effort:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=757235&highlight=

What does add a little HP is a BMW Performance intake or something similar plus a BMW Performance muffler or something similar. You already have the exhaust beyond a muffler, so maybe an intake and the larger throttle body or 330 intake might help if you want to go to all of that. A supercharger like ESS will give you the most power when you have the bucks to go that route.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the post but your reference to the intake swap is the M52TU-M54 intake swap. I was talking about swaping a MAF and Airbox, like was popular on the US E36 M3. On the M3 it gave like 10+ HP by switching to the bigger MAF and airbox. Wondering if anyone has tried it on a M54B25?

Also does anyone know if the bottom half of the airbox is the same between the 325 and 330 thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've swapped a 330 manifold, TB and 330 BMW performance intake into my 320, power gains were pretty minimal with the main difference being sound.
I currently have a 330 intake boot mated to a 320 MAF, I've yet to buy an 330 MAF but from what i hear they are tied to the injectors. on a hot film MAF which is what we have, this doesn't seem to make sense...?

the bottom half of the 325 intake is the same as the 330, the only difference on the 330 intake is the MAF hole is larger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts