BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
'a certain moderator'
Joined
·
37,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my car has a little more "oomph" to it, due to the 3.46 i just got :D, and now all i can think of is how to get more power :evil:

the idea came to me that i could get a 330 MAF, Inlet and TB all together, perhaps used from a salvage yard or something along the lines.

Couple Questions,

1. Will 330 MAF throw a fault, when i plug it into my 325 OBC?

2. Will I not be able to see much of a gain, without software that is adjusted for the higher airflow? (I was considering SHARK with this modification, is this feasible?)

3. Will i suffer LOWER performance, due to a new fuel/air mixture, and no software that will take into account these modifications, and my CF BFP intake?

Thanks for any info! I have already looked on some of the threads about upgrading to the 330 Inlet Tube, but need a little more info at this point :D

-Brendan
 

·
www.piratecove.org
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
custom software to take advantage of your diff!
i'd talk to the rennsport guys
 

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
Joined
·
6,855 Posts
kevin probably know hes done it on his 323. Gratz on ur new diff. But i wouldn't do one without the other. Grab both the new MAF and a chip. I always thought the siemens ecu tolerated more airflow even in the 325.
 

·
'a certain moderator'
Joined
·
37,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UrineMachine said:
Software for a diff? Its a manual, the only thing that would make sense is shift-point but his shifts are manual...
:werd: a 7000k redline would be nice with the diff, wind those gears out a little more, but i dont think there is anything i can do that will give more "power" from the diff, all of the changes are purely mechanical.

more concerned with having this extra airflow. it would probly be more airflow than a GruppeM on a stock 325, with my BFP intake...

any more ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
simsima325 said:


the idea came to me that i could get a 330 MAF, Inlet and TB all together, perhaps used from a salvage yard or something along the lines.

Couple Questions,

1. Will 330 MAF throw a fault, when i plug it into my 325 OBC?

2. Will I not be able to see much of a gain, without software that is adjusted for the higher airflow? (I was considering SHARK with this modification, is this feasible?)

3. Will i suffer LOWER performance, due to a new fuel/air mixture, and no software that will take into account these modifications, and my CF BFP intake?

-Brendan
A 330 MAF, intake tubing, and electronic throttle body will not work on your 325i and will cause SERIOUS driveability problems. Getting a shark combined with a 330i MAF will not work as well.

I would personally leave the air mass sensor, intake tubing and electronic throttle body alone and get a good CAI (like the one you have now), aftermarket exhaust, and an AA Tuning Software.
 

·
'a certain moderator'
Joined
·
37,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: 330 MAF, Inlet, and TB in a 325? Comp. Errors?

BWMGuy206 said:


A 330 MAF, intake tubing, and electronic throttle body will not work on your 325i and will cause SERIOUS driveability problems. Getting a shark combined with a 330i MAF will not work as well.

I would personally leave the air mass sensor, intake tubing and electronic throttle body alone and get a good CAI (like the one you have now), aftermarket exhaust, and an AA Tuning Software.
i have known people to upgrade ONLY the Inlet Tube, from 2.5L size to the 3.0L (wider, less aggressive bend, smooth inside).

DINAN and RennSport have TB's for the 2.5L too, but software to go with them...

thanks for the info though... this might be tougher to do than I anticipated! oh welllllll
 

·
'a certain moderator'
Joined
·
37,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
B said:
330 MAF will NOT work with a non-330...
thanks B, that is exactly what i was waiting to hear :tongue:

too bad, twas a good thought tho :D

now i just gotta decide where to head from here... in terms of getting a lil more POWAH :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
I posted info on this a while back. I also want to upgrade the whole intake track and MAF. I have to go right now but I will PM you tomorrow.

I did do the intake tube though. Someone else here did it also and posted pics so you might want to do a search.

If you upgrade the MAF to a 3.0 you will be the first that I know of. I believe it will work without modification. A few of us are doing MAF mods. ttl


simsima325 said:
OK, so my car has a little more "oomph" to it, due to the 3.46 i just got :D, and now all i can think of is how to get more power :evil:

the idea came to me that i could get a 330 MAF, Inlet and TB all together, perhaps used from a salvage yard or something along the lines.

Couple Questions,

1. Will 330 MAF throw a fault, when i plug it into my 325 OBC?

2. Will I not be able to see much of a gain, without software that is adjusted for the higher airflow? (I was considering SHARK with this modification, is this feasible?)

3. Will i suffer LOWER performance, due to a new fuel/air mixture, and no software that will take into account these modifications, and my CF BFP intake?

Thanks for any info! I have already looked on some of the threads about upgrading to the 330 Inlet Tube, but need a little more info at this point :D

-Brendan
 

·
'a certain moderator'
Joined
·
37,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am thinking of stealing a 330 MAF off of a friends 330, just to see if it throws a fault or something.

will need a new coupler tho, to hook it up to the BFP CAI.

i guess if someone was willing, we could try this out before purchasing a single part, MAF, Inlet and TB are reasonably easy to remove/reinstall, no? the only one that worries me is the TB.

-B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
You can wait on the throttle

The 330 intake tube will fit on the connector to the throttle body (the tube is two parts). I am running with the 330 intake tube on my 325 with a 325 throttle with no probs.

I would forgo the throttle since it is not easy to remove. This way testing your friends MAF and intake tube will be a snap.

simsima325 said:
i am thinking of stealing a 330 MAF off of a friends 330, just to see if it throws a fault or something.

will need a new coupler tho, to hook it up to the BFP CAI.

i guess if someone was willing, we could try this out before purchasing a single part, MAF, Inlet and TB are reasonably easy to remove/reinstall, no? the only one that worries me is the TB.

-B
 

·
Big in Japan
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
its not going to work (the 330 MAF) The car computer derives its reading by knowing the exact diameter of the MAF housing; change this diameter, and the computer will not be accurately measuring airflow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
True "B" and I know you know what your talking about.

BUT this doesn't prevent him from using the 330 intake tube and throttle body. Rennsport already confimed for me after some poking and prodding last year that the stock software can run a larger throttle body. Samir didn't believe me that it could. Yes running it with software optimal but it can compensate without it.

Yes the voltage will be off switching out a 330 MAF for a 325 but unless someone tries it how do you know? Based on Mr. Paddleshift who only tried a MAF from a newer low emissions vehicle which has many engine differences and a different MAF which was not compatible to our e46 engines and had a wiring harness and pinout that was completely different?? That's like saying I took a MAF from a mustang and fitted it to my BMW and it didn't work.

So to date NO one has tried a 330 to 325 (same pinout) MAF upgrade and proven that it doesn't work (or they haven't told the rest of the world they tried it). Mr Paddleshift only said why go through all this for 5HP. Well the Shark Injector delivers less than 5HP (granted it modifies other areas) for $349! I can name many other mods that are only in the 5HP area.


RichP said:
its not going to work (the 330 MAF) The car computer derives its reading by knowing the exact diameter of the MAF housing; change this diameter, and the computer will not be accurately measuring airflow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,976 Posts
But what if you had a 323/325/328, plugged up a 330 MAF with the 330 tubing to the t/b and used something like a HKS FCD wired in, and tweaked the MAF output with this? Because the DME is looking for a voltage value from the MAF isn't it? Simply changing out the MAF from a smaller diameter to the 330 MAF, output will change, because more air is moving across the MAF filament due to the larger MAF bore, changing the sampled voltage output of the MAF to the DME. So doesn't the HKS FCD allow you to "tailor" the MAF output? Basically faking out the DME.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
This is intriguing....

Just last night I was searching for a bigger TB and MAF... (on the net)

if it is the same pin configuration, I really dont see why it wouldnt work.

I dont have much experience with the BMW engines and their workings.. but comming from a supercharged 93 cobra... as well as a nice list of other built cars, I can say with some certainty that your cars computer is designed to compensate for many different conditions.-- I am sure it will adjust to an few extra mm's. What exactly is the size difference between the MAF's? TB's?

I removed the screens from my MAF,, inspite of most everyone on this board saying it will throw a code.... 4k miles later... uhh- NO codes. The car definately rushes a bit harder from 4-6500 rpm..

If the 330 TB will bolt up to the intake, and someone has one laying around.. I will be the guinea pig... I have the trusty 2.5L... and am running on stock software.. with a generic/ ebay CAI....

or if anyone knows where to get them (cheap?)... point me their..

KB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,976 Posts
Danielsan, you must learn. There are differences that will keep this from simply bolting up like you'ld hope. Go buy the Bentleys $100 or so book, it's bigger than the bible and will keep you in reality when you decide to try things out....plenty of useful info, and will describe all the differences between engine designator codes. Such as, for quick reference.
99-00 The engine code was M52TU (TU stands for Technical Update), and the engine sizes were (323)2.5 and (328)2.8, the throttle body is partial mechanical, meaning for the most part, your foot on the gas mechanically controlled the t/b position, but with an intermediary that basically physically overrides your input if it senses anything wrong with the engine, it goes into limp mode and the throttle plate closes back up, even if your foot is on the gas.
01-present The engine code is M54, and the engine size are now (325)2.5L and (330)3L. Now the throttle body is complete computer controlled, there is no physical cable connected to your gas pedal or throttle body, it's a potentiameter and a electro-motor, and a 15 pin data cable connectes to the T/B.
NOW, the 323, 325, 328 all share the same MAF, diameter is 65mm I believe. But the 330 has a 80mm MAF, wierd how there are two different T/B types from M52TU to M54, and one of those new engine codes shares the MAF from the old series, but you can't just simply swap out the MAF on the 325 to the 330 and expect it to work....without help. Either a comptuer reprogramming, or tweak the sensor with something else. So you my friend are in the same boat as myself and all the other 323/328 owners, who want a bigger bored t/b, but can't find one, or somebody that produces them. I sent an extra out to BigBoreThrottlebodies.com, and he (Ed Mazula) wasn't able to remove the bar that the throttle plate actually resides on, because on one side, is all the mechanical parts, and on the other, is all the electronic sensors....he didn't want to mess with it. So one of these days, I'm going to take a extra, put it on a 12 ton press, and see if I can't press the fricken' rod out of whatever is in the way of progress, and then I'll send it back out to him and see if he can't open things up a bit. Might not really help out much since I'm going to supercharge it anyways, but, for the sake of trying, I will to see if it can be done.

But seriously, if you're a do it yourselfer, go get that book, it'll help out much with the ideas you get

Keith Billanti said:
This is intriguing....

Just last night I was searching for a bigger TB and MAF... (on the net)

if it is the same pin configuration, I really dont see why it wouldnt work.

I dont have much experience with the BMW engines and their workings.. but comming from a supercharged 93 cobra... as well as a nice list of other built cars, I can say with some certainty that your cars computer is designed to compensate for many different conditions.-- I am sure it will adjust to an few extra mm's. What exactly is the size difference between the MAF's? TB's?

I removed the screens from my MAF,, inspite of most everyone on this board saying it will throw a code.... 4k miles later... uhh- NO codes. The car definately rushes a bit harder from 4-6500 rpm..

If the 330 TB will bolt up to the intake, and someone has one laying around.. I will be the guinea pig... I have the trusty 2.5L... and am running on stock software.. with a generic/ ebay CAI....

or if anyone knows where to get them (cheap?)... point me their..

KB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Don is correct Danielsan.

I finally found someone that provides as much editorial/educational comments as I do! Good info BMWDon!

It is not a matter of just a swap if you want the ECU to register the correct voltage to airflow patterns. BUT It is possible that the larger MAF will be within limits of the ECU voltage and airflow calculations and correction of the MAF is not necessary but no one has yet tested this. This however doesn't mean that fuel and airflow would be correct and throw off the air/fuel ratios but somehow I don't think it would given the engineering put into the ECU programming to be able to handle (according the BMW technical information) a long or short CAI. Additionally the ECU can handle a supercharger or throttle without software

BMWDon said:
Danielsan, you must learn. There are differences that will keep this from simply bolting up like you'ld hope. Go buy the Bentleys $100 or so book, it's bigger than the bible and will keep you in reality when you decide to try things out....plenty of useful info, and will describe all the differences between engine designator codes. Such as, for quick reference.
99-00 The engine code was M52TU (TU stands for Technical Update), and the engine sizes were (323)2.5 and (328)2.8, the throttle body is partial mechanical, meaning for the most part, your foot on the gas mechanically controlled the t/b position, but with an intermediary that basically physically overrides your input if it senses anything wrong with the engine, it goes into limp mode and the throttle plate closes back up, even if your foot is on the gas.
01-present The engine code is M54, and the engine size are now (325)2.5L and (330)3L. Now the throttle body is complete computer controlled, there is no physical cable connected to your gas pedal or throttle body, it's a potentiameter and a electro-motor, and a 15 pin data cable connectes to the T/B.
NOW, the 323, 325, 328 all share the same MAF, diameter is 65mm I believe. But the 330 has a 80mm MAF, wierd how there are two different T/B types from M52TU to M54, and one of those new engine codes shares the MAF from the old series, but you can't just simply swap out the MAF on the 325 to the 330 and expect it to work....without help. Either a comptuer reprogramming, or tweak the sensor with something else. So you my friend are in the same boat as myself and all the other 323/328 owners, who want a bigger bored t/b, but can't find one, or somebody that produces them. I sent an extra out to BigBoreThrottlebodies.com, and he (Ed Mazula) wasn't able to remove the bar that the throttle plate actually resides on, because on one side, is all the mechanical parts, and on the other, is all the electronic sensors....he didn't want to mess with it. So one of these days, I'm going to take a extra, put it on a 12 ton press, and see if I can't press the fricken' rod out of whatever is in the way of progress, and then I'll send it back out to him and see if he can't open things up a bit. Might not really help out much since I'm going to supercharge it anyways, but, for the sake of trying, I will to see if it can be done.

But seriously, if you're a do it yourselfer, go get that book, it'll help out much with the ideas you get
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top