BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2002 330Ci is making a fairly consistent "gurgling" or "marbling" sound at idle, and more pronounced when idling and in D or R (RPM drops)
Somebody posted the same sound on youtube, so linking to it for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHg3fxK1Hp8&feature=related

The sound is usually present, and happens when the engine is cold or hot. If If I put the car in D, with the brake pressed, and raise the idle to over 1100 RPM, the noise pretty much disappears. When the idle drops back down the noise comes back.

3 months ago I did a cooling system overhaul including new idler pulleys (both), new belts etc. I verified the cooling system is properly bleed, oil level is fine, premium gas etc. The noise started about 1 month ago.

This is a new one for me and hoping for some good leads.

TIA

RRG

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. I did the vanos seals a few years back with Ravi in Raleigh NC. I also disconnected the DISA valve electrical connector and no difference.
I'll focus my attention on these 2 items as a good starting point. I'll keep the forum posted on my findings.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Please let us no. Because I never herd it till yesterday when I put my exhaust. Is your car stock?

Edit:Nvm I should've watch the video but I was on my phone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the car is all stock, with original exhaust system. The noise is there 80% of the time, and if I touch some of the engine components (e.g. PS pump, valve cover etc) I feel a vibration that is consistent with the noise. Again - this is only evident at idle RPM. Maybe the harmonic balancer???

·
Registered
26,435 Posts
Disa, if the flap is broken, wouldn't change because you unplugged it.

You should check that out before you go crazy.

Actually, first, use a hose to isolate sound...5' long section of garden hose is nice...one end in ear...careful of moving things.

Check disa...check vanos, check around...

Part of that might be attenuated because you have an intake leak...maybe not, but listen around and see what you can do about getting location better.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Disa, if the flap is broken, wouldn't change because you unplugged it.

You should check that out before you go crazy.

Actually, first, use a hose to isolate sound...5' long section of garden hose is nice...one end in ear...careful of moving things.

Check disa...check vanos, check around...

Part of that might be attenuated because you have an intake leak...maybe not, but listen around and see what you can do about getting location better.
Disa you can unplug? Wouldn't it throw a code? And why would you unplug it?

·
Registered
26,435 Posts
Disa you can unplug? Wouldn't it throw a code? And why would you unplug it?

He did unplug it to test if the issue was the disa, and you can unplug it and it probably would throw a code (and a light), but if the gurgling disappears, he might have traced it right to the disa.

I'm telling him that if the mechanical part of the disa broke, unplugging woudn't help, so the diagnostic on disa is incomplete. He needs to remove and inspect it.

Still, I like the hose for finding sources of sounds!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
WE all know you like the hose DMAX! But thanks for explaining what you were talking about. Hope OP finds out whats going on. Mine makes some/kinda same sound but I am pretty sure its the vanos.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update - Replaced DISA, cleaned ICV, checked for vacuum leaks etc. No difference.

More recently, when putting the car in reverse, it now shakes real bad and makes a horrible noise. I took it to an indy and he is checking it now. I'll post the findings.

·
Registered
26,435 Posts
Update - Replaced DISA, cleaned ICV, checked for vacuum leaks etc. No difference.

More recently, when putting the car in reverse, it now shakes real bad and makes a horrible noise. I took it to an indy and he is checking it now. I'll post the findings.
Was your disa bad? I didn't hear you'd removed it and found the flap flapping freely...the sign of a bad disa.

Anyway, let us know what you learn. I'm feeling intake leak and motor/trans mounts (always good guesses when shaking badly!).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PS - I tried the "hose stethoscope" as dmax suggested. Cool idea and works well, however I was not able to isolate the noise. I picked up a $10 stethoscope from Autozone, which worked better, but I was still unable to trace the noise. Indy should be calling me tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dmax - the disa was not broken, but I put a new one in as they are prone to failing; and got a good price via this forum. Engine mounts were replaced 3 yrs ago, tranny mounts still original. Intake boots replaced earlier, brittle vacuum lines also replaced. Idle is smooth and stable, the car just vibrates and sounds like crap when in D, and moreso R when not moving. Other than that, MPG is same, smooth powerful etc. I'm with you - could be the tranny mounts.

·
Registered
26,435 Posts
dmax - the disa was not broken, but I put a new one in as they are prone to failing; and got a good price via this forum. Engine mounts were replaced 3 yrs ago, tranny mounts still original. Intake boots replaced earlier, brittle vacuum lines also replaced. Idle is smooth and stable, the car just vibrates and sounds like crap when in D, and moreso R when not moving. Other than that, MPG is same, smooth powerful etc. I'm with you - could be the tranny mounts.
I hope it's tranny mounts...otherwise don't like the 'worse in R' part.

You ever change your tranny fluid? If not, read up on the protocol guys use when it's been a long time coming for that. They'll do a couple of minor drains and fills before fully draining, dropping pan and replacing filter. If your indy isn't bmw-only, might be something to read up on and see if symptoms match anything.

Plug symptoms into advanced/title search..."shaking in R" something like that maybe. Also, read the second thread down from the top. Don't freak yet...I'm just doing more random guessing!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update - got the car back today and all the noises and vibrations are gone. The mechanic said he didn't do anything, nor could he reproduce the sound. He did hear/feel the noise/vibration when I dropped the car off. We are both at a loss. I had him inspect the entire vehicle, and aside from some wear and tear, the car is holding up well. One of the rear struts is leaking, so I ordered 4 Koni FSDs struts. I've heard real good things about these Konis.

DMAX - yes the tranny fluid was changed about 1.5 yr ago. In fact, the torque converter failed so had the tranny rebuilt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts