BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 328i just started to overheat in this summer heat and we cannot seem to find any problems with the cooling system ALTHOUGH there is no auxiliary fan sensor box mounted on the shroud and I can't remember if there ever was one. Can't even find a cable to run to the box either if there was one at any point, and this would explain the overheating if these sensors are supposed to be there.

Thanks, Dino

Ps part number for the aux fan sensor is 64118391470

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
If your fan is plugged in, that should be enough. I think the coolant temp determines when that kicks in.

I'd be willing to bet it cools down once you start moving?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your fan is plugged in, that should be enough. I think the coolant temp determines when that kicks in.

I'd be willing to bet it cools down once you start moving?

I never get the chance to test it though because I've turned the car off as soon as it rises past operating temp

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
So if you have a mechanical fan you may need to replace the fan clutch. Or just convert it to an electric puller fan.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Look for the user named BMW-north, he has a section on cooling fans on his page. Early models had the final stage mounted on the end of the motor, not a separate box if I understand correctly.

Sent from my 5049W using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
26,305 Posts
It could also be your therm isn't opening all the way. If you haven't replaced it in some years, I'd do that along with the WP and get some fresh coolant in there. Give it a good rinse with distilled water too in case there's gunk built up. I'll fill mine with water first and make sure the work I did holds water before draining and filling with 50/50 mix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts