E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 99 328i is reading 1/4 tank when full. The cluster test shows that the gauge is fully capable of sweeping the full range, and test 6 on the cluster for diagnostics shows 240000 or 24L from the left sender and 0 from the right. So I replaced the entire unit on the right and still have the same issue. Now I'm thinking a short maybe? Not sure what the deal is. Another interesting bit of info. When I unplug the unit on the right, the cluster test 6 reads 240005... ??

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I had the same issue and the problem was left sender.
Since you've already replaced right fuel pump and still not reading correctly, your left sender is probably the bad one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to reset the cluster and nothing changed. Also, I have a full tank so I didn't want to take the right sender out again, but did it anyways... spilled some fuel but I see that the value for test 6 does not change when I move the float around. I don't have a way to ohm it right now but I really doubt the new sender is bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Just bought a voltmeter, the unit's resistance is changing with the float. So the problem has to be between the unit and the cluster. Putting it back in now. Ideas? Don't really want to tear up the whole car following the wire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same issue and the problem was left sender.
Since you've already replaced right fuel pump and still not reading correctly, your left sender is probably the bad one.
I disconnected the left sender and the dash test 6.0 read 000000. After plugging it back in it showed normal readings from the left again.

I also traced the wires from the right with a tracing tool and found no short between the sender and the dash. Still super confused. Need help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still need help with this. Completely stumped now. Replaced both left and right senders and nothing fixed. Here are codes from cluster.
Instrument cluster Current Fault Codes 140: Clamp*R 215: Right lever*type*sensor 17: TOG
Instrument cluster E46 Current Fault Codes 140: Clamp*R 215: Right lever*type*sensor 17: TOG

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,032 Posts
If I'm not mistaken part of the system sending fuel from left to right lobe involves a vac hose...but that doesn't sound like it'd affect the level of fuel you're seeing being incorrect.

If you haven't replaced the left sending unit, despite it seeming to work with your voltage test, my first guess, initially, was to say it was the fuel sending units. Also, are you sure that the display in the cluster is showing left and right lobes on the 'left and right' sides of the cluster? I wonder if it might be reversed in the display for some reason...as in the default could be European cars or something like that.

Anyway, obviously I'm just guessing in thinking it's the sending unit...usually is...not an uncommon failure when showing 1/4 tank. Some have seemed to fix the sending unit by cleaning the contact lines on that gauge...then using Techron periodically to help keep it...and rest of fuel system clean.

Maybe start with cleaning it...if not, replace it...despite your diagnostics...(not saying I don't trust your diagnostic skills, but I've been here a long time and have learned that 'you'...in general...are not always reliable! Nothing personal!

hth...and a bump. And if you think I helped, please 'like' my pages below since I feel so lame with so few facebook friends!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, but I already replaced both sending units. No change. This is why I am confused now. Cluster and wires left I guess...

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,032 Posts
Sorry, guess I missed that.

Had you done anything at all with the cluster? Sharpie mod? Maybe worked nearby it a while ago? It's very easy to remove the cluster just to make sure the plugs are in firmly...I'd start there before hunting for failed wires. I doubt it's the cluster itself...in case you were thinking that.

And, did you use OE maker parts when replacing either pump or sending unit? Car is fussy with electronic devices.

Also, check the nearby grounds under the rear seat too...things that might have easily been knocked loose at some point in the car's life...whether you did it or not.

Good luck...and update the thread when you figure it out please.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Did you check for continuity in the two wires between the fuel level sensor and the instrument cluster?
If those check out, it must be a cluster problem.

What does sub menu 6.2. read?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't working near the cluster recently, but did remove it to check the connectors. I installed a used OEM left sender and a new aftermarket right sender/pump. I also checked the grounds behind the rear seats and they looked good. I ran cluster test six again and still getting 080000. Wiggled everything I could find while looking at the cluster test and couldn't get anything from the right three numbers. There is continuity between the sender and the cluster. I also took the right sender out and moved the float while running test six. Got nothing but zeros still.

Checked codes with BAVtechnic and got this one to stay after clearing

Cluster codes 140 Clamp R. Related?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Solved

Finally found a guy in my city who had an e46 cluster for sale. Asked him to borrow it. Popped it in and the fuel gauge worked. I took mine all apart and inspected the PCB. I traced the connections from the two inputs from the fuel sensors but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary that maybe I could solder. Will simply have to replace the entire cluster. Thanks everyone, problem solved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts