E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently having a problem where when cold starts great but once warm stalls. usually waits till I'm stopped before stalling. wont start again until cold. she runs smooth when running with no problem. no juddering, great idle.
I've recently installed new fuel pump but not solved.
the only other thing ive done recently is change the thermostat housing (after checking thermostat) as the old one was plastic and blew a leak spitting water everywhere.
the stalling has only happened since I did that and was running great before hand. not sure if the water could of reached a sensor or something.
I have a small exhaust hole but other than that can find no hose leaks or anything. please help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE after doing this a few times over the last few days this is the result I get.

car starts perfectly when cold. it reaches operating temp (HALF WAY) in about 10 minutes at idle. the car will still run great until it has been running for 40 MINS then stalls and wont restart for a few hours.

this happened the same on several occasions. 40 mins and stalls even when its been running at normal temp.

it does not overheat.

thermostat was done properly. ive cleaned all sensors. looked for air leaks etc.

I live 1hr+ from the nearest garage so don't really want to pay to have it towed in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, change fuel filter and coolant temp sensor now n no luck. the car is stalling after 5-10 mins now when warm and wont restart till cold. any help pleaseeeee.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I'm a poor full time student with little spare time and want to use the cassette player with a cassette to 3.5mm jack to play music (seems to be the simplest way to get an auxiliary input).

·
Registered
487 Posts
It sure sounds like a temperature sensor problem. Which temperature sensor did you replace? There are four on this car (I think) and two of them talk to the fuel injection system. Sometimes people accidentally replace the one that talks to the dash cluster. There is one in the side of the radiator that operates the electric fan, and one in the air path (let's see, e36, I think it inserts into the bottom of the intake manifold) that talks to the fuel injection but should not have enough authority to make the car stall. The other two should be on the US driver side of the head.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try disconnecting maf sensor(air flow meter). Mines was running like a sick cow cold and warm. Replaced plugs fuel filter and still no joy. Then I disconnected maf sensor and it ran great

1 - 6 of 6 Posts