E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday I bought a set of Ebay headers for my 325xi touring. I still need to get new studs and ceramic spray. Ive done A TON of research on header installs but I havent found much on installing headers on an XI car. The xi's have extra bracing and other "junk" up front for the front wheel drive. worst case ill have to take the engine off its mounts. Does anyone know anything about installing headers on an xi?!?!?!

·
Registered
512 Posts
take engine off passenger mount, jack it up about 6 inches and remove anything that will get in the way. washer bottle, SAP, EGR, and you dont need to remove the fan or shroud if you've got a sack, just watch them carefully as you jack the motor up, a little flexing is fine, or if your a puss just take them off... do this with friends around too, and if you want the flanges to have any chance of lining up I would do what I did, and unbolt the cat-back exhaust, because its mounts are flexible and the headers are not... And your gonna need to MASSAGE the heat shield on the passenger motor mount. I did this about two months ago, and with alot of beer involved it was 11 hours of pure joy...:woot: ohhh and be prepared for some rasp/finding any pinholes in your exhaust, because if there there, now youll hear em.:evil:

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
^ It's noticable but for how long it takes and how much effort it is to install them, I'd rather not even bother.

I plan on installing a supercharger in a few years. It'll put me off from getting a new car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha, Im sure its gonna be a pain in the ass! sounds like it was for you. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
512 Posts
^^WIMP the difference is night and day, engine braking is extremely improved, acceleration, gas millage :blah: Definitely do it. And not to mention after headers not many other projects are very difficult. Axles feel like a breeze now. So go get to turning wrenches, and ignore the people who pussed out themselves...

^^BTW headers are a must with an S/C IMO and FI calls for as free flowing exhaust as possible... just sayin

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ya doesn't seem to bad of a job to do, did filter housing in 45 minutes but I'm also a flat rate tech at ford for 11 years now so I'm not scared if it lol.never realized the headers made that much difference in these motors, and I also thinking about super charge next year.op let me know what you think of difference before and after

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hmm, I've spotted sometimes there are scary clearance issues getting O2 sensors to fit with the XI. Some have no issue with certain Ebay headers. Seems hit and miss depending on where the O2 bung is mounted on the header. There's something with removing heat shield material but that may be obvious. The pre-post cat O2 plan should be thought through before tossing them on. I've read those O2 simulators can be a problem. A constant Check Engine lamp sucks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Im a 17 year old kid with limited experience and tools. Im gonna do the install with a couple friends. Failure isnt an option. The headers should make a big difference considering my cars are old and the design of the exaust manifold is UUUUBER constictive. Ive been really thinking about running an eu3 catless DME tune soo I dont have to worry about post cat sensors. Thats also something i have to do some more research on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
197 Posts
Alright I see people saying they got eBay headers and stuff. I own a 2004 325xi. I've been looking into headers but idk what will be good and not throw the CEL.

Can someone PM me a link to a good set of eBay headers for my car? I want aggressive sound.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh, BS. got mine for $99 with FREE SHIPPING!! Either that or you pay $65 for the headers and also pay for shipping. Im plesantly supprised with the quality of the headers I got. Of course, I still have to buy ceramic spray, new studs and seals but that shouldnt be more than $40.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ahhh, BS. got mine for $99 with FREE SHIPPING!! Either that or you pay $65 for the headers and also pay for shipping. Im plesantly supprised with the quality of the headers I got. Of course, I still have to buy ceramic spray, new studs and seals but that shouldnt be more than $40.
Would you be able to help me find the headers?
I look and look, but never find what I want. Because well, I don't know what I'm looking "for"..

I just know I want a deeper sound, but stay emissions legal.
04 325xi

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
579 Posts
I got my ebay headers for 49.99 plus .99 shipping. Took those off and got bb headers

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
391 Posts
I did it a few weekends ago and yes it was very time consuming and more difficult then most tasks, but it doesnt take any substantial amount of know how. If you have any questions on the install feel free to pm me. I can even give you my number and you could call if you get hung up. Always up for helping a member :thumbup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh and heres a drawing of what i was trying to explain.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did any of your studs break when you were trying to get the stock manifold off? If so, how did you get the rest of the stud out of the block?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.