BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to buy a car for a type of rally, where the road is similar to rally cross (amateur). I'm familar with rally raiding, where I'm driving a Polaris Rzr 1000, but I don't know anything about racing a car. I'll prefer an awd one, suspension in the rear to be independent, longitudinal engine and to be a common one so I easily can find parts. My first choice was the BMW and the second one an Audi A4 B5. A lot of people on this forum are saying that the BMW e46 is not suitable for rallying, the awd is not good. Please give me some opinions and tell me if it's better for me to look for other cars.

·
Registered
2003 325xi 5spd Manual
844 Posts
Look for another car, the AWD is all open diffs, the ADB system can act as a locker but it does not work as well as a true locking system and limited slips. I would say the E30 is a good choice for a rally car, they're getting extremely hard to find though but finding one in a rough shape enough for rally racing is pretty easy. The problem with E30s though is the viscous coupling wearing out which means the car is worthless

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you can grab a 3.46 front diff from a 325xi auto and a 3.46 lsd rear diff from any e46 you can have some fun if you code the dsc 5.7 to not active.... at least in parking lot "drift" style fun.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i have to agree with the above. as much as i love the xi, it’s not a real awd rally car.

it’s more like a rwd car with a bit of power added to the front for some better traction in bad weather. and it’s very heavy.

for both reasons it drives beautifully as a bmw should on the highways and byways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts