BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there was having problems with their automatic transmission. Mine will stick in third gear until I get to around 6,000rpm. It does it under normal driving conditions, Im not under full acceleration. Let me know if anyone has experienced this and if so, how you fixed it.

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
^ at what mileage did the failures occur? im starting to get worried :eek:

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
:censor:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was wondering if anyone out there was having problems with their automatic transmission. Mine will stick in third gear until I get to around 6,000rpm. It does it under normal driving conditions, Im not under full acceleration. Let me know if anyone has experienced this and if so, how you fixed it.
I just replaced the auto trans in my '99 323 @ 99.5K miles. There are two types in the E46, one by ZF (less expensive of the two) and a French-built GM automatic.

There is very little you can do to repair the trans. You might try having the control module cleared of its memory, a long shot, but that won't cost much for a tech to clear the codes. Other than that, you'll be looking to put in either a junkyard unit (about $ 1,200 to $ 1,500) or a new rebuilt from BMW.

The automatic transmissions are a known weak area in the E46.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have experience my problems at around 55K. I had my tranny control unit replaced already and im thinking about just buying a new tranny for my car....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts