BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today 03:15 PMjgall
I have a 2003 325xi with about 1280k miles. The car has developed an intermittent issue that only appears after the car has been driven for 90+ miles at 65-75 mph. At this point, if you come to a stop and then attempt to accelerate, the car shutters violently. However, if you let off the gas slightly and let the car VERY SLOWLY accelerate, the shutter does not occur. If you stop the car and let it rest/cool for about 30 minutes, the shuttering does not occur until you have driven for a considerable distance has high speed. It does not occur when the cruise control is on operation. However, if you turn the cruice control off, to rapidly accelerate to say, pass a vehicle, the shuttering will occur. The computer throws no error codes and the BMW mechanic finds no problems. Any ideas or recommendations? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Classic problem with XI, the grease inside the front CV boots gets warm and run off after driven.

You need to re-pack your front CV joints both sides, and might as well replace those boots too.

But if the grease inside the CV joints has been dried for a while then you may need new front axles.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Classic problem with XI, the grease inside the front CV boots gets warm and run off after driven.

You need to re-pack your front CV joints both sides, and might as well replace those boots too.

But if the grease inside the CV joints has been dried for a while then you may need new front axles.
Precisely!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply regarding the CV joints. Interesting enough, I had the front outer CV boot and shaft seal replaced shortly before this issue appeared. The front inner CV boot was replaced about 5 months later and left front inner CV boot was replaced a second time 3 months after that. A BMW dealership did the work. Is it possible that something was done wrong or the wrong type of CV grease was used? Thoughts?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks for the reply regarding the CV joints. Interesting enough, I had the front outer CV boot and shaft seal replaced shortly before this issue appeared. The front inner CV boot was replaced about 5 months later and left front inner CV boot was replaced a second time 3 months after that. A BMW dealership did the work. Is it possible that something was done wrong or the wrong type of CV grease was used? Thoughts?
Never a good idea to do outters and then inners separately, labor wise it just doesn't make sense, and by the time you're done with pounding the hec out of the hub to get the halfshaft spline back in there the old ones started to give up.:facepalm:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Today 03:15 PMjgall
I have a 2003 325xi with about 1280k miles. The car has developed an intermittent issue that only appears after the car has been driven for 90+ miles at 65-75 mph. At this point, if you come to a stop and then attempt to accelerate, the car shutters violently. However, if you let off the gas slightly and let the car VERY SLOWLY accelerate, the shutter does not occur. If you stop the car and let it rest/cool for about 30 minutes, the shuttering does not occur until you have driven for a considerable distance has high speed. It does not occur when the cruise control is on operation. However, if you turn the cruice control off, to rapidly accelerate to say, pass a vehicle, the shuttering will occur. The computer throws no error codes and the BMW mechanic finds no problems. Any ideas or recommendations? Much appreciated.
Automatic?

If so it could be one of 2 things depending on the type of shudder.

the first one has already been mentioned. Inner CV joints need to be repacked if they are still in good condition.

The second is it could be your tranny. (if you have an auto) I had the shudder with the same symptoms as you have described. Only ocurrs after a peiod of highway driving. and only on normal acceleration and above. Mine ceased doing this after I changed the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your posts regarding my acceleration question. The car goes to the mechanic tomorrow.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do u have any engine codes because it's like mine

·
Registered
286 Posts
man i have the same problem check your secondary air injection pump, i have read somewhere that it can get clought up and that could couse that.
I got this code with my car and i have same problem as u do
P0412 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Malfunction

·
Registered
685 Posts
man i have the same problem check your secondary air injection pump, i have read somewhere that it can get clought up and that could couse that.
I got this code with my car and i have same problem as u do
P0412 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Malfunction
Secondary air pump has nothing to do with car vibration underload.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well found online that it sounds like inner cv boot, so checked that. i will check mine today because i know when i change my outer cv boot on the inner i used clamp that you tight with screw driver so i guess it got loose and grease came out.
Stupid of me, I was going to buy the right clap but i forgot, i really hope that that is the case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts