E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am having a locking problem with my trunk lid.

It appears that the trunk lid locking mechanism is stuck in the locked position and when I push the trunk open/closed button on the key I hear a click, but no movement of the externally visible parts of the latching mechanism.

Could anyone shed light on what may be the problem here?

Thanks,
Hugh

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a similar problem with my trunk, the thing is that I can't open my trunk with the lock mechanism, but when I take the rubber part that covers the button off it works fine with it on nothing happens...

Anyone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Double Click?

When I bought my used 330ci, the boot double clicked and stayed locked. Turned out that this ws due to the lid not popping up slightly whan the latch popped and so it re locked itself again. I adjusted the rubber stoppers on the underside of the lid and alls well now. Just needed a helping had to lift the lid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
addendum to original post

addendum:

The locking mechanism seems to work when you operate it with the trunk lid up. When I push inward on the latch actuation arm, the mechanism latches and when I press the trunk open button on the key the latch unlocks.

It appears that the adjustments on the trunk rubber bumpers keep the latch actuation arm from making enough contact with the latch on the bottom of the trunk to trip the mechanism.

What I may need is a procedure explaining how to perform adjustment of the rubber bumpers.

- Hugh

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
problem solved

1. I replaced latch mechanism on trunk lid. It was sticking.

2. Then adjusted the lower latch position, both vertically and laterally.

3. Then adjusted the rubber bumpers to give the proper amount of lift on release of the latch.

The lock and unlock function now works effortlessly and reliably.

I had to use trial and error to achieve the best settings.

Thanks again,
Hugh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.