E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 2002 325i and bought a wrecked 325xi to do a motor swap and figured what the heck lets do a awd conversion on the 325i. my question is i understand no one has actually tried this and i see that alot of people say to not do it BUT i love doing the impossible so i could use as much advice as possible. The question is the trans tunnel underneath the car for the 325i looks like its smaller from side to side than the xi im using the front and rear suspension from the xi and everything that comes with it but is it actually possbile or did i bite off more than i can chew i cant afford to buy a new trans from a 325i and drive shaft when i have a perfectly possible best swap ever now mind you the kid put 60K miles on a freshly rebuilt motor before wrecking it and totalling the body of the car motor and trans is still in perfect condition ran and moved before buying it also doing a catless header swap with it but can this swap be viably possible thanks ahead of time for the advice... this is my first bmw i have dealt with usually deal with hondas chevys or dodge

·
Registered
99 Posts
Chassis is the same, everything will fit. The hurdle is the xi front subframe that is mounted different.

The two front mounting points are connected to a threaded hole where the front swaybar bushing is located. Same mounting plate on a rwd model but with a threaded hole connected to the frame rail.

I’m piecing awd parts and from research thats the one thing that needs fabrication.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chassis is the same, everything will fit. The hurdle is the xi front subframe that is mounted different.

The two front mounting points are connected to a threaded hole where the front swaybar bushing is located. Same mounting plate on a rwd model but with a threaded hole connected to the frame rail.

I’m piecing awd parts and from research thats the one thing that needs fabrication.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics
Thanks. I love how the cross member on the xi is. Lot better. Just doing this til I get the ls1 built

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
If you have a complete donor, it's do- able.

You're gonna love this, tho- the easy part is the mechanicals.
The electronics are completely different: the xi uses the Bosch ABS system.
And never lost the MS43 DME. But DID get later upgrades like
pencil coils... It's a parts salad. RealOEM will help, but beware-
there are errors in the xi parts even in RealOEM and differing errors
in the aftermarket parts chain.

And your donor needs to be roughly 2002- ish as well- there are several
electronics changes that you want to keep on the same side of.
(he says ungrammatically)
If you cross the streams, enough of the connectors change that
swapping all the harnesses is the easy way out.
And things like ABS sensors can totally throw a wrench in the process.

I wish I was exaggerating for effect. But I'm not, really.

t
It's totally do- able. It's just a lot of details.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a complete car. Been wrecked but shell is totalled but the stuff I need isn’t. It’s the exact same yr as the 325i. I’ll take some pics if needed to show why I’m using this as a donor. But it’s def something I wanna do. Tunnel for trans just looks completely different

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,448 Posts
I have a complete car. Been wrecked but shell is totalled but the stuff I need isn’t. It’s the exact same yr as the 325i. I’ll take some pics if needed to show why I’m using this as a donor. But it’s def something I wanna do. Tunnel for trans just looks completely different
^^^
That.

Xi uses different carpeting and mats. The floorpan is shaped differently to make room for the transfer case. Are you guys certain that this is viable?

The guys who've S54 and RWD swapped Xi tourings have had to fab custom trans crossmembers since the RWD ones don't fit the tunnels.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
Now that you mention it, there IS a lotta extra room under the wagon for the forward driveshaft...

but I've never crawled under them with a tape measure or anything. That subframe is a beast.

But I do maintain that the mechanicals will be the easier part of the project- welding in a few floor
panels isn't all that tricky.

heh

t
dooooo eeeeeet! and post piles of pix.

Reactions: PowerS54

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here’s how the front mount of the front subframe is attached.

Glasses Blue Sleeve Finger Wood

Blue Gas Electric blue Auto part Metal

The panel is xi specific but similar to a rwd, which the sway bar bushing is attached to on rwd. On the xi, the swaybar is attached to the subframe.

Extra room for trans tunnel? Use a BFH.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Wow, that looks like a truly difficult conversion requiring the full gamut of skills - fabrication, patience, electronics, ordering special parts, and patience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts