E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Question, I have a 325i that's still under warranty with a sun roof problem and was wondering if anyone has had the same. The problem occurs when I try closing the window by just pressing it forward once and it supposed to close all the way without holding the button. Anyway, what happens is: when I press the button, it starts closing, at about 3/4 of the way it stops and backups up an inch or two. I had the dealer look at it and they placed a new motor for sun roof but still have a problem. I'm going to bring it back but it would be good to know if anyone has had the same problem and what was the initial fix.

Thanks!!!!

--Joe

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think this is a pretty common problem with our sunroofs. I've always had occasional problems with my roof as well, the same "one touch closing" stopping 3/4 of the way and then going back slightly. If your dealer replaced the motor, i don't understand why its doing it again. But anyways, i never had my motor replaced, but instead the dealer just "reprogrammed" it whatever that means. That was about half a year ago, and its been fixed since, although i'm hoping the problem won't pop up again, since the weather here in jersey is gettin nicer and i'm using the roof a lot now. So, i guess you could tell your dealer to try to reprogram it, and see if they know what that means.
-Hope this helps

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is this happening while the car in moving or stopped?

mine does this on the highway sometimes and I though it was caused by the wind and the auto rollback safety feature.

just thinking out loud..:dunno:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Only does it 5% of the time. Closes after a try or two. I'll bring it into the dealer when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replys. To answer some of your questions: it happens either when the car is moving and stopped. It also happens from time to time, not always. I was getting my car maintenenced so I asked them to look at it and looks like they just went for the obviouis and changed the motor. Anyway, looks like bmkev46 had the right thing done so I'm going back to ask them to reprogram it. Thanks again!!

--Joe

·
T!TSLVR
1,182 Posts
I had this problem on my '03 M3. I noticed because I would always forget to close my sunroof (from tilt open position) and when I try to close it using the key lock on my driver's side door, the sunroof would dip down and go right back up. :ben:

I took it in last week and they replaced the motor and now the sunroof closes all the time.

BODY 1 TECH(S):3129 WARRANTY
C/S STATES MANUAL CLOSE WHEN IN TILT POSITION DOESN'T OPERAT
PROPERLY
MOTOR FAILURE
REPLACED SUNROOF MOTOR

6100005 1.0

PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER---------------DESCRIPTION--------------------UNIT PRICE-
JOB # 2 1 67-61-6-918-977 ELECTRIC DRIVE WARRANTY
JOB # 2 TOTAL PARTS 0.00

·
Registered
18 Posts
Me, too...

I, too, have seen some of these symptoms (auto close from full open stops with a couple of inches left) but only once or twice in a year. But, the one thing that has bugged me the most, is a 'problem' that I'm not even sure is a problem. I'd appreciate any feedback on whether or not you've experienced this or whether or not you even think it's a problem:

I am sure (ok, 99% sure) that I used to be able to, with the sunroof fully open, press and release the sunroof button once, straight up (to go to the tilt position) and the sunroof would close completely and then go to the tilt position. Now, when I try it, the sunroof will only move as long as I'm pressing the button. (I haven't held it long enough to see if it would close all the way and then go to the tilt position.) I recently took the car in for some service and told them this. They reinitiailized or reprogrammed the sunroof module. It didn't 'fix' it. Is this even broken . . ?

2002 330Ci Schwarz 2/Sand, 5-spd, PP, HS, Alarm, HL Xcvr, GruppeM CAI

·
Registered
202 Posts
same problem here, but only occasionally, ill have it checked out when i take it in to fix the 4545436565436653 other things wrong with it.

·
The Man
328 Posts
it happened to me today for the first time

·
Black and Proud
16,976 Posts
i'm thinking the "problem" has something to do with the safety mechanism built into the moonroof

once in a while... the moonroof will stop about 1/2 or 1/3 way and open again
if you stick your arm outside the moonroof and try to close it the same thing happens...
:dunno:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
They replaced the motor & the module but it didnt solve the problem now they are ripping my headliner off and looking at the tracks. They think the wire for the safety limit is cought up in the tracks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
damn same problem here on my 330.. whats going on :( i thought it was the wind also causing this, but it does the same even when the car is at standstill.

i'm gonna have to take it to the dealer I guess.. thanks dudez.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well I just got a call from the dealership that it has been fixed. They replaced the motor, module and took the head liner out and put new tracks in. $53 is all I have to pay, thank god for CPO

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
On certain occasions, my moonroof switch refuses to work. Whether i try to tilt or open, the switch refuses to open the moonroof. AFter a few tries, it works. Dealer can never duplicate the problem. :dunno:

·
Banned
822 Posts
thats whats wrong with all this modern technology, it all stops working correctly. the more features you have in your car, the more problems. I have a fully loaded 323 and i dont have many problems (i do have this moon roof problem), thank god. but i know in a couple years things are just gonna stop working. like all the one touch features. you never see roll up windows getting fixed at the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts