BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides intake, gearing, suspension, wheels, and exhaust, is there anything that would give my 325i sedan any more power? Please don't say "Just buy a 330" I have a fairly large budget for this.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Well I'm no expert in this department but after the stuff you listed in your first post your pretty much left with FI. If you don't want to go out and buy a 330 but you have a decent budget then you could swap in a 3.0l engine:dunno:

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,943 Posts
Besides intake, gearing, suspension, wheels, and exhaust, is there anything that would give my 325i sedan any more power? Please don't say "Just buy a 330" I have a fairly large budget for this.
Well, since none of those add any power...

OK, depending upon the intake, it might, but most do not. Same for exhaust.

Well I'm no expert in this department but after the stuff you listed in your first post your pretty much left with FI. If you don't want to go out and buy a 330 but you have a decent budget then you could swap in a 3.0l engine:dunno:
This is what I'd do (and likely will do somewhere down the road). Otherwise, a set of Schrick cams and a good ECU remap will make you a little power. You could add underdrive pulleys, and while a low mass flywheel doesn't add power, the engine revs quicker like you added power. Of course a decent header will add power, but you will lose your cats and be a polluter.

BTW, all of this is illegal in the People's Republic of California.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You'd be surprised how much "extra power" you unlock through maintenance + a fresh tank of Shell V-Power.

Get rid of some unsprung weight by installing lighter wheels and the car will feel a LOT peppier.

Throw out all the bags of half eaten KFC from the backseat and you'll gain 5hp instantly.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
you could always put your car on a diet.
remove everything you are comfortable living without. usually this is free, so no cost to you.
its not exactly a power mod, but achieves the same thing.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Also, I would like to take a moment to thank OP for starting this thread.

I, too, have been longing for these answers.

I can't believe that our cars have been around for nearly 20 years and nobody has asked this.

Thank you OP.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,258 Posts
Harder to find with fewer miles
Quantify "fewer miles."

330s are pretty ding-dang common if you know where/how to look.

Plus with a 330 you get bigger brakes, usually nicer-looking aero bits, etc etc.

I can't believe that our cars have been around for nearly 20 years and nobody has asked this.

Thank you OP.
:clap: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
If you want to make the car feel faster while adding a little power, I'd recommend headers, tune, 3.46 rear diff. Obviously the diff doesn't add horsepower but this and the headers/tune with make the car much more desirable to drive.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,567 Posts
Not exactly an answer, but refreshing the flex disc and upgrading the differential will give a tighter feeling that you will notice.

Also, refresh and upgrade the suspension. There is straight line performance, and there is driving performance. You will really notice that you can throw the car into turns faster once you dump the worn suspension. And it is not nearly as expensive or frustrating as supercharging.

·
Shifting
32,009 Posts

Thank you OP.
:facepalm: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The elephant in the room, of course, is the M54B30.
Cheap, easy, well- known and improves torque quite a bit.
Cheaper than many of the modifications listed above-
in fact, a wrecked donor AND an engine refresh probably would
be cheaper than many listed above!
And then it's done.

And then for those who want even more, there's the S54....
...but that may break the budget....

t

Who's into seeing elephants, really...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Op I have wanted to mod my 325 for more power ever since I got it. For a semi reliable daily car it just turned out to be pointless. I put on an Underdrive ps pulley which made the steering wheel feel tighter, and the revs feel just a tad bit lighter. I also swapped in an electric fan, and that made a pretty good difference in how the engine revs. Besides that I would reccomend a m54b30. I just got one that was in a front end collision so I'm rebuilding it now, but when I took it for a quick drive it had the power I wanted in my 325. Also the bigger brakes are a very worthwhile upgrade. If you are set on making your 325 have more power I would reccomend nitrous. Cheap-ish, safe if done right, and the power is there when you want it.

·
Shifting
32,009 Posts
^ My friend did the same to his '03 325i.

Underdrive pullies, lightweight wheels, fully refreshed suspension with z4m cabs, m3 balljoints in the rear, rebuilt calipers, etc. With the car running it top shape it's fun as hell to drive so enjoy the car as is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts