E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2001 BMW 325i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a very strange, in my opinion, issue with my '01 325i and I was curious if anyone else has dealt with this. The other day, I noticed my AC was acting like it was low on freon, so I bought a gauge and some freon to fill it, but I noticed that it was actually overcharged (for some reason) and was at the AutoZone draining some out. While sitting there with the car running doing that, the upper radiator hose, at the radiator, busted open and sprayed all my coolant on the ground. I shut the car off but it had already maxed out the temp gauge. I have new parts on the way to OE overhaul the cooling system, but the strange things to me are a) how did this happen, and b) if i overheated it that quickly, why is my head gasket not blown? (no "mayo" or white smoke) Anyone else with an M54 dealt with this?

·
Registered
2001 BMW 325i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was running at normal speed, if I do recall correctly. It was quite hot out on that day so I was concerned that there wasn't enough airflow at first. And I doubt the issue could have been the result of blown HG, because I never used coolant or smoked at all, Just concerned about it causing a blown HG. Only time will tell therre, bc it is hard to drive when the coolant all runs out 😂

·
Administrator
19,221 Posts
Also possible that the upper hose was not installed/seated correctly, if that was recently serviced. But I would bet it was overheating (for some reason, which needs to be sorted), and that popped the hose off.

Most common reason for overheat at hot idle is the electric radiator fan not running properly.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I also overheated my M54 for a few seconds after a broken thermostat. Gauge went into the red and I cut the engine immediately. No harm was done, so I wouldn't worry about head(gasket), unless it overheated and you continued driving it.

·
Registered
‘89, ‘03 and ‘98 E39
443 Posts
I’d check your e fan. The way I see it the fan could also make your A/C system appear over filled if it’s not wicking enough heat off the condenser.

I could be wrong though, I know enough about A/C to get myself in trouble.

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,861 Posts
What's the service history on the cooling system? If you shut it off right away, it should be okay.

Likely just a coincidence that it happened while refilling the AC ... Were the a/c gauges you were using measuring both high side and low side pressures? Those refill cans with the single gauge on them that the auto parts stores sell are just asking for trouble ... should not be used.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Was the upper hose ruptured or just popped off from radiator? Pic of the ruptured hose?
If engine was turned off as soon as you saw the hose popped, then the only way for the temperature gauge in the red zone is the engine was already overheating before the hose popped.

·
Registered
E39 M5, 330it, E70 N55, E38 6mt
28 Posts
AC was probably high because of an inop aux fan. Manual or auto transmission? An auto with a bad clutch fan and an inop aux fan will get you hot quickly.
I wouldn't recomend testing the clutch fan the way we do in the shop but if it has wiggle in the coupling or oil residue around it, it is no good.

·
Registered
2001 BMW 325i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me go get a picture. I will follow up with it, but no the hose was not ruptured, it seemingly burst a seam somewhere. it now just dribbles out of said hose, slowly but I am still not taking any chances for the moment

·
Registered
2001 BMW 325i
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I found is that currently the fan is not spinning, hopefully due to low coolant, but more importantly the radiator is cracked so that is what I have to deal with now. Maybe some RTV can patch it?
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 37 Posts