E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Platinum; 2019 Camry XSE; 2010 Infiniti G37S
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I had my 2004 325i premium sport tuned by JLeviSW with an Active Autowerke Tune. As the title states, I've got a M56 SULEV engine (fully known as M56B25). I've put just shy of a 1000 miles on the car since the tune, so I thought I'd post up a review.

The tune had an immediate effect, however it was mostly with throttle response. The throttle response seemed a lot more sporty, noticeable so. There seemed like there was a modest midrange improvement in power, but nothing exceptional...but wait.

I was talking to the guys at JLevi while the car was being tuned and they said that it may take a few days for the ECU to fully adapt to the new software. 3 nights later, I pulled out of the subdivision the car felt COMPLETELY different. It genuinely surprised me with how it drove. Merging onto the freeway, the car pulled like I could not believe. It seems like 2,700 RPM seems the magic number, because no matter what gear, as soon as it gets over 2,700 RPM it pulls like it never did before.

The car is far more drivable as it does not downshift as often; passing and merging are all easier. It could just be me, but I'll swear that there is slightly more induction noise as RPM builds. My previous car was a Lexus ES 300 with 200 hp and 200 lb-ft of torque. The 325i now feels like it pulls harder than the Lexus.

An added bonus out of all of this is MPG improvement. Prior to the tune, I was getting 18.3 MPG according to the OBC (without my roof rack). Currently, with my roof rack and a bike holder on, I'm getting 19.4 MPG.

The only engine modifications made to the vehicle is a K&N drop-in panel filter, as well as removing the secondary hydrocarbon filter in the lid of the air box (unique to the SULEV engines).

In conclusion, I'd highly recommend anyone with a SULEV to check out getting it tuned! I also highly recommend JLeviSW, those guys are extremely helpful and great to deal with!

UPDATE: I removed the front tire tie down point from my bike rack and now I'm at 19.6 MPG :thumbup:

·
Registered
2020 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Platinum; 2019 Camry XSE; 2010 Infiniti G37S
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just thought I'd post a quick update. Still feels like there's more low and midrange torque (DSC agrees with me in the wet...that was never an issue before the tune), and I dumped some Redline fuel injector cleaner in and my average MPG has gone up to 20.0.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts